New 3080 Build

Nick_330
Nick_330
First Comment
edited September 2020 in Help Choosing Parts
I'm looking to upgrade from my old 750TI to a 3080 if I can get my hands on one when it releases next week.  I have my build picked out for the most part and would love some input on my part choices if anyone has suggestions for parts that would be better suited for a 3080 build.  I'm mostly confused with my motherboard choice and if I should go only SSD memory or throw in a HDD as well.  But I'm open to all suggestions. 

Here is my build so far that I've put together.  Let me know what you think!

https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder.aspx?load=cc98edb6-6a53-45cf-b021-4aaab3a1c053  

Comments

• Hello @Nick_330

Your build looks good!  Love all the Corsair stuff, i'm a big Corsair fan.  No real changes I would make besides considering if you need the thermal paste.  The thermal paste is already pre-applied to the Corsair AIO and it's pretty good.  You will only need to reapply if you are changing CPUs or reseating the cooler.  
  • You may want to consider 750 or 850w PSU with the 3080 and a 10700k- especially if you plan to improve on this in the future. 

I personally use all SSDs for daily driving. HDDs are for backups. the WD blue is a sata ssd; you should get at least one nvme ssd. The 500gb sn750 wd black is $70 on amazon right now, and 75 here. Get a main drive, then expand from there depending on your needs and organization.

For the thermal paste I sorta do recommend getting your own, but only if it's thermal grizzly, the included stuff is plenty otherwise. Having extra never hurts in case you put something on wrong and need to fix it and reapply!
    For the motherboard, do you really want wifi? 
    https://www.microcenter.com/product/623792/msi-z490-mpg-gaming-plus-intel-lga-1200-atx-motherboard
    You may do better with a few dollars shaved off on the non-wifi version of the board. Wifi is real bad for gamering if you want to play pvp stuff.
    I have that same corsair cooler, and, welll... it's good, but a bit outdated. I think I would consider 1. shaving money off the case a bit, and the mobo above, and maybe going for a 280mm h115i platinum or the like. It depends on how much you care about trying to overclock and learn all that :) if not, the h100 is fine.

RAM: https://www.microcenter.com/product/501730/corsair-vengeance-lpx-16gb-(2-x-8gb)-ddr4-3200-pc4-25600-cl16-dual-channel-desktop-memory-kit-cmk16gx4m2d3200---black

pretty much no reason for paying $20 for RGB. These are great sticks, been using them for years. Unless you want to go higher speed. RGB is overrated!

• Thanks for the feedback!  I don't really intend on overclocking this machine.  I don't know much about it and with what I'm putting in this computer it seems plenty powerful enough for the gaming I'll be doing on it.  I wanted to go with the NZXT Kraken 280mm but since I picked a Corsair case and RAM I wanted to keep it all in the same brand for the cooler too.  Like you said if I'm not overclocking the H100 should be good so I think I'll be ok. 

I do agree RGB is overrated!  But I want my build to look sorta flashy and my budget it $2,000 so I had the flexibility on the RGB so why not?  I'm sure the RAM you suggested would be great as well but I had the money to spend on the RGB.  

I think for storage I've decided on 1TB WD SSD for the OS and any games I'll install, 1TB should be enough for the games I'll be installing but if it isn't I can use the 2TB HDD I picked out for a backup I guess.  I don't think I'll need much more than 1TB but all the SSD does is improve loadtime so I'll manage what I put on the SSD and what I put on my HDD.
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    Nick_330 said:
    Thanks for the feedback!  I don't really intend on overclocking this machine.  I don't know much about it and with what I'm putting in this computer it seems plenty powerful enough for the gaming I'll be doing on it.  I wanted to go with the NZXT Kraken 280mm but since I picked a Corsair case and RAM I wanted to keep it all in the same brand for the cooler too.  Like you said if I'm not overclocking the H100 should be good so I think I'll be ok. 

I do agree RGB is overrated!  But I want my build to look sorta flashy and my budget it $2,000 so I had the flexibility on the RGB so why not?  I'm sure the RAM you suggested would be great as well but I had the money to spend on the RGB.  

I think for storage I've decided on 1TB WD SSD for the OS and any games I'll install, 1TB should be enough for the games I'll be installing but if it isn't I can use the 2TB HDD I picked out for a backup I guess.  I don't think I'll need much more than 1TB but all the SSD does is improve loadtime so I'll manage what I put on the SSD and what I put on my HDD.
    1TB should be enough... if you don't play CoD! I think Modern Warfare is up to about 230GB by itself, and so many newer games I've purchased are 70-80GB+. It's pretty crazy how huge some titles have gotten. 

Build looks pretty good overall. Only thing I'll say is that if you're not planning on overclocking at all, getting one of the k-series CPUs is kind of pointless. There's a reason they're unlocked! You might as well just get the normal i7-10700 instead and save that $50 to apply it to something else in your build.  The 10700k does have higher boost clocks at stock settings but it won't make a drastic difference. 
  • Nick_330
    Nick_330
    First Comment
    edited September 2020

1TB should be enough... if you don't play CoD! I think Modern Warfare is up to about 230GB by itself, and so many newer games I've purchased are 70-80GB+. It's pretty crazy how huge some titles have gotten. 

Build looks pretty good overall. Only thing I'll say is that if you're not planning on overclocking at all, getting one of the k-series CPUs is kind of pointless. There's a reason they're unlocked! You might as well just get the normal i7-10700 instead and save that $50 to apply it to something else in your build.  The 10700k does have higher boost clocks at stock settings but it won't make a drastic difference. 
    I guess I'm not totally against overclocking it so I'll stick with the K series in case I do want to overclock at some point.  But good point I did not think I was overspending on the CPU if I decide not to overclock.  So if I do decide to overclock will the H100 cooler be enough?  I'm not against upgrading to a nicer cooler but only if its a significant difference that doesn't add $100 to my final price.

I'm not sure if the link I originally posted continues to update as I make changes but this is the final part build I think I'm going to run with.  Fingers crossed I can get a 3080 at my local Best Buy Thursday!  

https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder.aspx?load=e67426f4-3877-4b8a-b4f3-34b6a0762565
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    Yes, an N100 or other similar performance AIO liquid cooler or high-end air cooler (e.g. Noctua NH-D15) would be well suited for overclocking on a 10700k. 
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99