Never seen this power supply before.

Options

I was apprehensive of getting this PSU. I've seen G.Skill Ripjaws PSU's before, but never have I seen this line. I bought it anyway, but now I'm thinking about exchanging it for a PSU from a more trusted brand when I come down to my MC to snag a 3080 next week. If anyone's ever used one of these, please share your experience with it.

Comments

• TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    Options
    I'm not too familiar with G.Skill PSUs but from what I have found online their manufactured by a company called Channel Well Technology who manufactures PSUs for a number of known brands such as Corsair. Like any other PSU, it's better to evaluate individual models as opposed to an entire brand because many brands offer both high quality and low-quality power supplies. 

Since this is an 80+ Gold certified PSU it should be perfectly fine, but hopefully somebody else can weigh in here who is more familiar with these. 

• yaeji
    yaeji
    First Comment
    edited September 2020
    Options
    TSTonyV said:
    I'm not too familiar with G.Skill PSUs but from what I have found online their manufactured by a company called Channel Well Technology who manufactures PSUs for a number of known brands such as Corsair. Like any other PSU, it's better to evaluate individual models as opposed to an entire brand because many brands offer both high quality and low-quality power supplies. 

Since this is an 80+ Gold certified PSU it should be perfectly fine, but hopefully somebody else can weigh in here who is more familiar with these. 

Yes, and I have yet to actually try this unit. It's sitting in the corner of my room with the shrink wrap still on.

I felt like it was an OEM PSU. I can't find it anywhere else but Micro Center, but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt before I come to my local Micro Center to pick up some more things for my build on Tuesday. I'm still going to exchange it to an EVGA Supernova GA 850W for the 12 pin to 2x8 pin PCIe power cable, because I'm planning on trying to get an FE 3080 (or AIB if I manage to get one.)

I'm also pretty sure Channel Well only made units for Corsair's older, low wattage PSUs. And I'm talking about those CX450 semi-modular PSUs. Personally, I use a Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 550W on an R5 1600 AF and a GTX 1060. Obviously I'm going to upgrade, since I just bought a 3900x and I'm planning on picking up a 3080.

Other than that, CWT units that aren't marketed by very reputable companies like Corsair don't really have any reviews. Only the occasional "they're mediocre at most" or "at least it failed without lighting my system up" replies on Reddit.

Edit: Wait, it comes with two 8 pin EPS connectors?
    Huh.
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Yeah, that PSU should come with all the necessary connectors you'd need. I won't knock you for wanting an EVGA Supernova though, those are definitely high quality PSUs. 
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99