PowerSpec G357: Fans turned red by themselves.

Options
dstacho1
dstacho1
edited September 2020 in General Discussion
I bought the PowerSpec G357 about 4 months ago and the fans that came with it were always flashing many colors. There was no Aura Sync program preinstalled to control the lights and when I downloaded the program it doesn't work with the Asus Prime Z390-P motherboard so perhaps the lights around the fans are not RGB but just LED? As far as I know, I can't control those lights on the fan, and I have no idea why they turned red. I saw this could be a sign of some hardware failure but the memory diagnostic tool and windows health report both came out good. 

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• TSPhillipT
    Options
    Hello @dstacho1

There is actually a physical controller inside the computer that lets you change the colors.

• ScottA
    Options

I had the same issue happen to me last year. There's an ASUS driver that used to let me use Lighting Control but I had to remove it for Windows memory protection. The buttons in the picture seem to do nothing for me. It just keeps cycling through colors I don't want. What should I do?

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Options

@ScottA

Software had to be updated for core isolation. You can hit 'don't show me this again'. It's a third party component that's being flagged. You can download this version that has the problematic components removed: http://powerspec.com/support/files/Lighting_Control_1.07.84_v2.zip

• ScottA
    ScottA
    Name Dropper First Comment
    edited April 2023
    Options

Thanks @PowerSpec_MikeW, but I need a solution for model G357 which has an ASUS Prime Z390P motherboard and doesn't work with Aura. I was using AI Suite 3.0 from 2020. I get Error Number 0x80004005 when I try to run set with the package you linked.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@ScottA

Different SDK then unfortunately. Back when this unit was built was used the cooler master controller rather than connecting the RGB directly to the board. Software never should have worked on it unless something was changed. This board only has one RGB header. It's on the bottom center of the board, next to the COM header. The header is white. Is there something connected here?

Let me know and we'll follow up. If we hit a wall I'll build one up Monday morning and see if we can get AI Suite working without disabling Core Isolation.

• ScottA
    Options

@PowerSpec_MikeW yes, there is a cable hooked up to it. I ended up taking it to my local Marietta store shortly after purchase because of the lack of software RGB control, and apparently they hooked something up for me, which caused lightning control to work for me. The 3 buttons at the bottom right have no effect on my lightning (no one ever told me about them, I just learned about them last week when I found this page!). I could live with a solution where we give those buttons control again, as well as a solution where we get an updated AI Suite 3 working. ASUS has not posted a newer version that is compatible with ASUS Prime Z390-P. A little concerned as my PC is definitely past warranty.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@ScottA

I can double check with them, but looking online the last AI Suite update is from 2020. The board is not compatible with armory crate, we're not likely to have a software solution in combination with having memory integrity enabled. It looks like their controller and SDK has changed significantly since then.

You should be able to simply disconnect the RGB cable from the header I described and reconnect it to the Cooler Master controller on the bottom right of the chassis. That'll give you control for now. If you need help, post a picture and we'll help you get it straightened out.

• ScottA
    Options

I'm not sure how to give the 3 buttons control again. I see the cable hooked up to the header, but I can't just move it to the end of the 3 buttons, it doesn't reach. It seems to be going behind the motherboard, but not obvious how to unhook it and snake it back over there. There is a 4 wire connector I can trace it back to then I lose it. Is the Marietta shop going to charge me to undo this, since ASUS doesn't seem to support its own motherboard?

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@ScottA

Connector on the back side of the controller should be going to the PSU for power. The RGB connector should be able to reach, but it's hard to say without pictures, or to see how it was rewired back then. If you would like to post some pictures we may be able to give you a better idea.

I can speak to the Marietta service department and see what they can do. But first, let me build a G357 tomorrow and play with some different SDK's and AI Suite 3 versions. See if I can figure something out. I didn't get a chance to do this today.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    edited April 2023
    Options

@ScottA

Found an updated AI Suite 3 that's listed as being compatible with Windows 11. I haven't gotten a chance to test it yet, but I'll see what I can do: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/14Utilities/SW_ASUS_AISuite3_PPSU_EZ_SZ_TSD_W11_64_V30110_20220110R.zip?model=TUF%20GAMING%20X570-PLUS

Please try that if you have the time.

Edit: Quick update, I have my platform built. Imaging and updating to windows 11 now. Should have confirmation in an hour or two.

Installed it, it throws a warning about memory integrity and will not function unless it's disabled. Tried Armoury Crate, there's no SDK for this board. Tried OpenRGB as well, not compatible.

Unfortunately I think we're stuck with the RGB controller in the chassis. If you have some pictures, more than happy to help you here. I can also explain the situation to Marietta, but it'll be up to them as they typically would charge labor.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99