Should I go with 3200Mhz or 3600Mhz?

I’m building a pc primarily for great VR performance on an Oculus Rift S and I’m going to be using an X570 mobo with a Ryzen 5 3600 CPU.

My question is two fold, is the 3600x or even 3600xt CPU worth it and which would you recommend and then secondly for the Ram I am planning on 16Gb as I’ve been told 32Gb will be overkill. The big question is should I be looking at 3200Mhz or 3600Mhz. Most reviews recommend 3200Mhz would be the “sweet spot”, is this the case?

Answers

• JS_MC
    JS_MC admin
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    edited October 2020
    I think 3200MHz is a great price for performance option. I think it really depends on your budget and what you're looking to accomplish.
    I'd recommend the 3200MHz, but you will see a slight improvement with the increased speed.
    Here's a video discussing the different speeds and their performance impact.

To your question of the 3600 vs. 3600X vs. 3600XT, again this really depends on your budget and what you want/need. From my perspective, If you're wanting to go with the 3600XT, I'd recommend spending a bit more on the 3700X as it's currently a $60 difference but you gain 2 additional cores. That being said, the 3600 is a great option for its price.

If it's a split between your RAM and your CPU, I'd recommend putting more toward your CPU, as you're likely to see much greater performance from a better CPU than you would from the increase in RAM speed.

• I'd agree with @LandShark.  3200Mhz is a great option.  16GB is a solid amount for VR.  I've used 16GB 3200MHz for multiple VRs at this point (HTC Vive, Oculus Rift S, & Quest 2 [oculinked]) with no issue.  

Which GPU are you using for the Rift S? 
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99