Is 2060 Super sweet spot for 3440x1440 gaming?

In all the craze of the sales over the last couple of days, I snagged myself a $300 35" 3440x1440 monitor (unbelievable bargain, really). If you must know, it's a Monoprice Zero-G 35" Gaming Monitor. I bought it mostly because it will come in super handy for my work from home, but the gaming side of it is a nice bonus!

It'll arrive in a few days, so meanwhile, I'm researching on which video card I should get to support the new monitor. Right now, I'm running a GeForce 970. I know it can run games at that resolution, but only if I'm willing to crank the quality settings WAY down.

I'm looking long and hard at a 2060 Super, but the Radeon 5700 XT isn't out of the question, either. I know both are perfectly capable cards for what I'm looking for. I'm leaning towards the 2060 only because I hear a lot about driver issues with the Radeon, not to mention that I'd have to go through the hassle of COMPLETELY removing any NVIDIA drivers/software from my PC prior to installing the Radeon. That's a pain I'd like to avoid.

So, is the 2060 Super good for high, or even ultra, quality settings for some of the games I want to play on my new monitor? Examples would be the Exodus series, Witcher games (all 3), and probably some incoming games like Cyberpunk and Kerbal Space Program 2. Flight Simulator is also possible down the road, but I know that game punishes a lot of cards. I should note, I'm far more interested in FPS than I am in refresh rate (doesn't hurt, but it's not like I'm gaming competitively, so it's irrelevant in my book).

Final question: When will the 2060 Super cards be back in stock, if at all? (Mayfield Hts., OH location)

Comments

• Felicity
    Felicity ✭✭
    5 Likes First Comment Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited October 2020
    fyi, you want the fps before the refresh rate. but having both is nice. I just enjoy 240hz and under 180 starts to feel slow. having a high refresh rate without consistency is frustrating. There is no sweet spot for 4k; it might be the 3080; but if you think a 970 can do 4k in games that have any demand at all, a 2060 super will blow it away regardless. Look for the 2070 super evga black gaming, it's rather nice but the price point is contentious with so many maybes. it was the cheapest middleground I could find without going to a 2080ti or something and @ 500 is quite nice and has pulled its weight.

the 5700xt was a disappointment all around. If it was any good, nvidia's 20 series wouldn't have been so stupid. The only thing more absurd is making a product better for half the price and expecting 20 customers. everyone trying to keep secrets and purposeful leaks so specific that they don't even know what they're trying to do. very government-esque.

DDU will remove drivers/folders easily. Or reinstall windows. Good to do with any large upgrade anyway.

• TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    The 2060 Super can certainly do 1440p at high/ultra depending on the title but the better question is what kind of FPS are you looking to get at those settings? Ultimately it just depends on the title. 

For some perspective, I have an LG 27GL850-B. 2560x1440, paired with a 2080 Super + 3700X . In Horizon Zero Dawn I was usually able to get ~80-90FPS at high settings. A 2060 Super is probably good for around 60FPS.

Based on this video, Witcher 3 at ultra should hit 70+ FPS at 1440p with a 2060 Super. 

For future graphically demanding titles like Cyber Punk, you can probably run them at 1440p high/max settings, but you may not be able to hit that 60FPS target, just depends on how intense they are. 
  • TSTonyV said:
    The 2060 Super can certainly do 1440p at high/ultra depending on the title but the better question is what kind of FPS are you looking to get at those settings? Ultimately it just depends on the title. 

For some perspective, I have an LG 27GL850-B. 2560x1440, paired with a 2080 Super + 3700X . In Horizon Zero Dawn I was usually able to get ~80-90FPS at high settings. A 2060 Super is probably good for around 60FPS.

Based on this video, Witcher 3 at ultra should hit 70+ FPS at 1440p with a 2060 Super. 

For future graphically demanding titles like Cyber Punk, you can probably run them at 1440p high/max settings, but you may not be able to hit that 60FPS target, just depends on how intense they are. 

Thanks for the reply. Seeing as I have an ultrawide monitor, it certainly sounds like if I want to be able to play my games consistently at 60FPS at 3440x1440 while also future-proofing for future games, I should probably look more at the 2070 Super or the 5700XT.

Seeing how AMD's about the announce the 6000 series, I'm going to sit tight and see what they have up their sleeve and what their prices will be. I worry about their driver fiasco happening all over again, though. (Hopefully they've learned their lesson after the 5000 series).
  • TheRaptorFence
    edited October 2020
    Waffler said:
    TSTonyV said:

Thanks for the reply. Seeing as I have an ultrawide monitor, it certainly sounds like if I want to be able to play my games consistently at 60FPS at 3440x1440 while also future-proofing for future games, I should probably look more at the 2070 Super or the 5700XT.

Seeing how AMD's about the announce the 6000 series, I'm going to sit tight and see what they have up their sleeve and what their prices will be. I worry about their driver fiasco happening all over again, though. (Hopefully they've learned their lesson after the 5000 series).
    Yeah, with the new console push I'd advise waiting. The new lineup from nVidia's 3000 series and AMDs 6000 series is a hell of a jump in price to performance. Obviously stock is an issue for a 3000 series until at least after Christmas, so if stock on 6000 series is good enough I'd make the jump there for future proofing, drivers be damned (I've been burned by AMD drivers before. It's an inconvenience, but if the performance is there then make the jump anyways just for the massive FPS increase).

EDIT: For reference, ray tracing and DLSS enabled 2019-2020 AAA games on 3070 are running in the 75-90 FPS range. A 2070S or above will do in the range of 45-90 depending on the card (2070S being the low end of that!), but at those prices you might as well buy the newest gen since it'll be on par price wise but see a jump of 30-50% in performance with bells and whistles on.
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99