Switching to AMD CPU and Motherboard

Options
I am currently thinking about upgrading my I7-8700k and Motherboard for an AMD 5900x and an AMD motherboard.  This PC is a prebuilt from Digital Storm about 3 years ago and it came with an OEM Windows 10 License.   My questions is making a switch in Motherboards and driver changes from Intel to AMD, I'm assuming ill need a clean Windows 10 install, since this was an OEM license do I have to go out and buy a brand new Windows 10 or is there any possible way for it to transfer and update drivers itself?

Comments

• TS_JosephF
    TS_JosephF admin
    Photogenic First Anniversary 5 Likes First Answer
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Hello @Trapper25
    You are correct in assuming a clean install of Windows 10 will be best when setting up the new system. You could open either Windows Powershell or Command Prompt and run this command:
    wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey
    This will display your current license key. Write this down or snap a photo of it. You could also download and install ShowKeyPlus from the Microsoft store here. Once you run this program it will display the license key as well. You will be able to copy the OEM key here as well.

As for your drivers, you will be able to reinstall everything from scratch once you install Windows again. I recommend starting with the Chipset drivers for your motherboard then move onto the GPU drivers. Then you could check device manager and install any other drivers that Windows cannot find on its own.
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99