Recommendation for a replacement laptop.

Ottavio
Ottavio
edited June 2021 in General Discussion
My son's 7 year old HP is no longer working. The laptop was used for filming and editing my son's blog. The original HP came with the software he used. So looking for laptop and software recommendations since I don't think software is included anymore.
Thanks.

Comments

• Ottavio said:
    My son's 7 year old HP is no longer working. The laptop was used for filming and editing my son's blog. The original HP came with the software he used. So looking for laptop and software recommendations since I don't think software is included anymore.
    Thanks.

Greetings. What price range are you looking for? You can view the video editing software we sell at: https://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?N=4294967272 
  • I struggling with what new laptop to purchase. It is a big part of my job. I have had the one I use now for about 8 years, at least 3 years past when I should have replaced it, just because it is painful to change and get setup. I am not anxious to just spend a lot of money, but also don't want to replace it every year. I put together a list of how I use it, what I have now, and options I have looked at, which helps me understand what I think is important to me. Is this something I can post here and get help? I just need something that won't lag behind and keep up with me. 
  • Lastlap1 said:
    I struggling with what new laptop to purchase. It is a big part of my job. I have had the one I use now for about 8 years, at least 3 years past when I should have replaced it, just because it is painful to change and get setup. I am not anxious to just spend a lot of money, but also don't want to replace it every year. I put together a list of how I use it, what I have now, and options I have looked at, which helps me understand what I think is important to me. Is this something I can post here and get help? I just need something that won't lag behind and keep up with me. 
    Sure, please let us know what you'd be looking for and we can see what we would have available. 
  • Typical Day: (I like to have all applications open at the same time; I am generally moving between them all constantly) • Excel with Large Sheets and Macro’s • Adobe Editing • Outlook with large attachments • Word Docs always open • Multiple Screens to help with Editing • Web Browser always open using other computers virtually • Transferring large files - Speed • Some CAD viewing and Editing • Always on Wireless • I work in three locations. I will need to consider the cost of a power source for each location and for traveling. • Web Meetings often • Transferring Files between Phone Computer Items reviewed: • Processor: 10th Gen i7 - 10750 2.6 Ghz Processor – What else should I consider? What will help me with speed in my applications? Benefit / Cost • Hard Drive: 512GB NVME M.2 SD This seems to Best Drive for Speed? Present Computer presently has 296GB Used. Should I consider SATA drive for safety/dependability? • Ram: 16GB or 32GB – 2933SDRAM or 3200SDRAM – Are there other specs to consider that will help with my applications? If I don’t get 32GB, it seems I should verify I can upgrade? • Graphics: ? (I don’t think I need much, look what I have, I always wished it was just a little better) • Operating System: MS 10 Home or Pro? (I have had Windows 7 Pro, but not sure how Pro makes a difference). • Wireless: WiFi 6 seems to be the latest/fast? I have 6 Network Drives Mapped that I VPN to full time when connected to the Internet. I exchange large files often with these drives. • Bluetooth: Transfer files between Phone and Laptop. How do Bluetooth levels differ? (5.0, 5.1) • Battery: I would like to get at least 4 hours when on the Battery. • Webcam: Need Webcam - Cam shutter seems like a nice option if available. • Connections: o ThunderBolt - Connection seems like a good option for multiple location connections? o HDMI - Connection used many times at work and traveling. o USB Port - I always have two drives plugged in at one location. I want to increase the File Transfer speeds. Having one extra for Thumb Drive would also be nice. But maybe I could accomplish it with an adapter? • Monitor: o I have a 15.6” now; it seems to be a good balance to travel with. Better resolution would help. Touch Screen seems like a good option for marking-up Drawings and Pictures, but it seems like I would want the screen to flip around to use this feature? I would consider this is an optional feature. o Not being able to view the screen from an angle also seems like a nice feature while traveling. • Keyboard: o Backlit is a feature I wished I had many times while traveling. o Numeric Pad on Keyboard is used a lot. • Present Computer: o ProBook 4540s 64bit Operating System Running Windows 7 o I7-3632QM 2.20GHz o 8GB Ram o AMD Radeon HD 7650M Graphics (This almost was good enough, it just needed a little improvement) o Weight is 6.0lbs (This is acceptable but no heavier. I little lighter would be nice.) o Multiple applications run extremely slow, and File transfer is slow, Boot-time extremely slow, Screen Resolution was inadequate. Linking to Phone for file transfer did not work well.

• Ian,
    If this is something that you can use to help me choose the correct Laptop for me, I can email it to you as a PDF. Just think it is easier to read. When I paste it on here it seems to all blend together. The PDF is in Bullet Points.
  • Hello @Lastlap1 just chiming in. We have some selections for you. You want to go with a SSD drive and not SATA. Solid state give better performance for the PC. For all of the multi-threading, CAD and multiple programs opened simultaneously, you may want to go with 16gb or preferably 32 gb of memory. With an I7-10th gen processor, 32 gigs will give you all the speed and performance you need for all of the things you'll be doing for your job. I'm not sure you need a laptop with thunderbolt. I saw the HP Probook 4540 didn't have thunderbolt. So unless you have a thunderbolt only monitor or a thunderbolt only storage device, we'd recommend to exclude thunderbolt ports as a requirement for your new laptop. Most laptops we have only support Thunderbolt 3 anyway. Same scenario mentioned above applies to Thunderbolt 3 monitors and storage devices. 
    No worries about the differences between bluetooth 5.0 vs 5.1, its all bluetooth. But there is a link below on bluetooth if you'd like to know the difference. There really isn't to much of difference as to why we say bluetooth is bluetooth no matter if its 5.0 or 5.1.

Take a look at these links below at recommended laptops. They're going to range between $999 to $1500. If want something cheaper, you'll have to go with lesser RAM/Memory, a slower CPU processor, etc.

Look at the Dell XPS 15 9500, this has 16gig of RAM/Memory but it can be upgraded to 32gig of memory. Its the only laptop that meet your requirements that has a touchscreen. 
    https://www.microcenter.com/product/623604/dell-xps-15-9500-156-laptop-computer---silver 

Look at the HP Omen 15 Gaming laptop. It has 16 gig of ram but could be upgraded. It does NOT  have touchscreen.
    https://www.microcenter.com/product/623207/hp-omen-15-dh1054nr-156-gaming-laptop-computer---black 

Look at another HP Omen 15 it has 32gig of ram. It does NOT have a touchscreen.
    https://www.microcenter.com/product/623209/hp-omen-15-dh1053nr-156-gaming-laptop-computer---black 

Difference between bluetooth 5.0/5.1
    https://www.rfwireless-world.com/Terminology/Bluetooth-5-vs-bluetooth-5-1.html 

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99