PC occasionally won't boot until PSU is reset, MC unable to diagnose problem (video attached)

GatosFritos
edited January 2021 in General Discussion
Basically all I have to say is what's in the title. Brought it into MC, they thought it was my cable extensions and well...those are gone and the problem is still there. I really can't figure out what's going on with this darn thing :smiley:
Here's a video (1 min) showing the issue: 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k3Tk2c6ONNtCoNUTi8l-ShPgVzdZt6Kk/view?usp=sharing

Comments

• Good afternoon @GatosFritos

I do apologize you are having issues with the computer.  based on the issue you are having i would have to believe this maybe an issue with the power supply itself and that the motherboard itself is detecting an issue with the power coming in and preventing the system from turning on.  When you turn the power supply off and back in it discharges the the power that was in it and reset the psu and then allow it to boot at that moment.  do you have another power supply to test in the computer?
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Greetings @GatosFritos

We appreciate the video and you've provided us with a lot of information. Now lets go over what we can tell from what you've shared. It sounds like it's some overcurrent protection. Now if this was triggered by the power supply, we wouldn't have standby power, so we'll assume it's the board. First thought would be it's triggered by a USB device. And I'm assuming this happens when the PC is in hibernate or shut off. They're really both S4.

Three things I would suggest trying.

1. Disconnect all USB devices the next time you either let it sleep or shut it down, see if the issue will persist.

2. Disable ErP in the BIOS. This setting provides power to USB devices when the PC is shut off. See if the issue still persists.

3. Kill S4. From an elevated command prompt or powershell type: powercfg -h off

Note: You can toggle this back on later with: powercfg -h on

Please let us know what your results are.
  • TSKevinG said:
    Good afternoon @GatosFritos

I do apologize you are having issues with the computer.  based on the issue you are having i would have to believe this maybe an issue with the power supply itself and that the motherboard itself is detecting an issue with the power coming in and preventing the system from turning on.  When you turn the power supply off and back in it discharges the the power that was in it and reset the psu and then allow it to boot at that moment.  do you have another power supply to test in the computer?
    Unfortunately I don't have another power supply unit to test with, and the problem is also highly intermittent - it happens about once a week.
  • TSMikeW said:
    Greetings @GatosFritos

We appreciate the video and you've provided us with a lot of information. Now lets go over what we can tell from what you've shared. It sounds like it's some overcurrent protection. Now if this was triggered by the power supply, we wouldn't have standby power, so we'll assume it's the board. First thought would be it's triggered by a USB device. And I'm assuming this happens when the PC is in hibernate or shut off. They're really both S4.

Three things I would suggest trying.

1. Disconnect all USB devices the next time you either let it sleep or shut it down, see if the issue will persist.

2. Disable ErP in the BIOS. This setting provides power to USB devices when the PC is shut off. See if the issue still persists.

3. Kill S4. From an elevated command prompt or powershell type: powercfg -h off

Note: You can toggle this back on later with: powercfg -h on

Please let us know what your results are.
    Thanks, I'll try these things. It may take a while since the problem is so intermittent (and yes, it only happens when the PC is shut off). Disabling ErP and killing S4 is effectively doing the same thing in terms of testing whether or not it's a USB device, no? I hope it's the USB device itself and not the motherboard, as I called ASUS and they only offered to do a repair - which I have no confidence in when the issue is so difficult to reproduce.
  • I am having the exact problem with a build Microcenter did last month.  Have to literally uplug the PSU wait a sec or two, then plug back in.  The it boots.   Subsequent tests with shutting it off then back on there is no problem.  It seems to be only when it is off for a while.  May be returning this build soon.
  • Update to previous post.  My case is the Lian LI Lancool 215 and power supply is the Focus GX650 Gold.
  • @Sirj Welcome to the community. Sorry to hear that you're having an issue with your build.
    Have you tried the steps above?
    If so, how were your results?
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    @GatosFritos

No, disabling S4 means when you shutdown, you'll go into S5 which is off. You can still provide standby power to USB devices in S5, so disabling ErP is still important to test alone. Please lest us know what your results are. Also, having standby power doesn't entirely rule out the power supply. This could simply be a bad unit, that fails to turn on without a discharge. Standby power just means it's not an issue with a shutdown in S4 because of an OCP trip.
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99