Error Code 0xc000000e Your PC/Device needs to be repaired

I was using Acronis Disk Director to Clone my C drive where I set up a drive pool with 4 2TB drives.
Transfered all my Docs, Photos, Videos to this drive pool. When the clone process rebooted system to start the cloning I received the Blue Recovery Screen.
Can my system be recovered?

Best Answers

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited January 2021 Answer ✓
    @Joseph62

It looks like missing or corrupt boot configuration data. I would make a rescue disc or a bootable Windows 10 flash drive. Boot from it. Shift+F10 to open command prompt. Type the following commands.

diskpart

list disk (will show all drives)

select disk # (number of the disk that you cloned to)

list part

list vol

Need screenshots of the last two. Lets see if the system partition was even part of the image first.

Adding that we do offer repair services in store. We may be able to repair this depending on what's going on. Creating another back up and cloning may be necessary. If the system partition is missing, then it's not part of your cloned image. You can write a new one via command line, but there are some caveats and it'll depend on where space is available on the drive. Given that your drives are 2TB, you should be alright. The ESP doesn't need to be at the beginning of the drive, it just needs to be in the first 2.2TB.
  • TSTDavey
    TSTDavey admin
    First Anniversary Micro Center Staff First Comment 5 Likes
    Answer ✓
    @Joseph62 yes you can bring it to the store.
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    Answer ✓
    @Joseph62
    You're close, but you have that reversed. MBR stands for master boot record. As for the second command failing, means it can find your windows directory, so specify where it is. In the screenshot above you main drive with Windows is F and your system partition is C. Try: bcdboot.exe F:\Windows /s C:
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    Answer ✓
    @Joseph62

Possibly, assuming your running Windows 10 on this hardware. It's always a gamble, considering how much your changing, but Windows 10 is pretty good about stopping and installing the new hardware before it tries to boot. You'll need to make sure CSM is enabled in the BIOS for legacy boot. Also, check your SATA controller mode and make sure they match, or you'll BSOD. Which isn't a total failure, you can just boot into safe mode and it'll fix itself on WIndows 10. Requires some registry mocification for 7.

As for relying on automatic repair to fix an issue like this, I wouldn't trust it. Obviously the bootrec commands couldn't find the windows partition and we had to help it, should tell you automatic repair was a lost cause. I've seen automatic repair leave systems unbootable in situations like this. I've warned people about automatic repair and seen it leave systems completely inaccessible in situations like this.

Answers

• Hello @Joseph62 and thanks for posting on the Microcenter Community Forum. The error code is a windows issue with your C drive. You'll have to attempt to rebuild the windows boot configuration. Do you have a windows installation disk or usb? If not you can use a usb and use the windows media creation tool to download the windows 10 iso file to usb. You'll need to run the command prompt from the windows installation and type "bootrec /rebuildbcd" and then Y for installation to boot list.
  • Thank you for the quick reply,
     I've  read that on the internet which gave me some hope that all is no lost.
    I am apprehensive about doing it myself. Is this a type of repair Micro Center would do? 
  • Here are the screen shots requested.
    The disks from size is as follows
    Disk 4 is my main C:\ it's a 500GB SSD drive
    Disk 5 is the disk I was cloning disk 4 to
    The other 2 (6 & 12) I think are related to the drive pool
    Max size reported when I created pool was 7.7TB
    I assigned Max size to be 5.5TB

I'll plan to stop by around 2PM tomorow.
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    @Joseph62

Well, the structure looks alright, spare for having two recovery partitions at the end. The partition 1 is your system partition, at 155MB it looks normal. You can tell by the offset it's at the beginning of the drive where it should be. On the volume list, you can see it's labeled C. It looks like your Windows partition is labeled G:. So first step here is to take a look at the system partition and see what's there. We can try the automated commands to rebuild it as @TSTDavey mentioned. Usually you're going to need to delete the existing bcd to rebuild it, or rename it.

bootrec/rebuildbcd
    bootrec/scanos

First lets look at. Type:

exit
    C:
    dir

Should exit diskpart, change your drive to C: and show you the contents of that folder. You can go ahead and try bootrec/rebuildbcd as well, but you'll likely get an access denied error.
  • here is the screenshot from 
    bootrec/rebuildbcd
    bootrec/scanos
    I removed the 320GB drive from the system I believe thats why the drive is F: now

• If I do the commands below could it fix the boot problem?
    1. Bootrec /fixmbr
    2. Bootrec /fixboot
          Access Denied do step 3, repeat step 2, then step 4 
          if successful step 4
    3. Bootsect/nt60 sys
    4. Bcdedit  /export  F:\bcdbackup
    5. Attrib  F:\boot\bcd  -h  -r  -s
    6. Ren  F:\boot\bcd  bcd.old
    7. Bootrec  /rebuildbcd
    8. Y  (to add drive to list)
    9. Exit
    10. continue

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    @Joseph62

It may. If you get access denied on "Bootrec /fixboot" run "Bootsect /nt60 sys" then run "Bootrec /fixboot" again and it should run successfully. Looks like your MBR, so the first two commands are most critical. If you get an error on bootrec/rebuildbcd, that's when you would rename the bcd to bcd.old. Then run "bootrec /rebuildbcd" again. Make sure you correct the drive letter, we noted above that it appears to be in C:. I'd disconnect your original drive while doing this to avoid any issues.
  • Here are screenshots of /rebuild, vol, and Dir of vol's
    After rebuild and Y to add it boot list, I received system device cannot be found.   
    I get the same error with bcdedit /export C:\bcdbackup or F:.  I did change to each vol and did a Dir on each.  it appears E: is my data pool drive I named it 4 Drive Storage, it appears the directory structure is intact, 

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    @Joseph62

You don't need to export the BCD. You seemed to be able to detect the OS, repair the boot sector and master boot record. Reboot it try to boot to that drive. Lets see what it does.
  • I want to make sure I get everything right:
    repair boot sector with:    bootrec /fixmbr
    repair master boot record with:  bootrec  /fixboot
    Shut down computer. then boot to this drive:
    Any idea why after the /rebuildbcd, and I type "Y" to "Add installation to Boot List" I Receive "system device cannot be found"?
  • Thank you for all your help with this.  So I'll do the following: 
    Copy boot files from F:\windows to C:\ with: bcdboot.exe F:\Windows /s C:
    repair boot sector with:     bootrec  /fixboot
    repair master boot record with:   bootrec /fixmbr
    Shut down computer. then boot to this drive:
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    @Joseph62

Yes, give it a shot and we'll see if the drive is bootable.
  • OMG IT WORKED
    THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU
    When it first booted there was a black screen with the text at the bottom of the screen: Acronis
    As the program was on a flash drive that wasn't installed after some time the system rebooted 
    when it came up this time it came up with 2 options
    BOOT to WINDOWS 10 on VOL 6 or
    BOOT to WINDOWS 10
    I picked  BOOT to WINDOWS 10 on VOL 6
    IT BOOTED UP LIKE NOTHING EVER HAPPENED
    I can't thank you enough for all the help!!!
    Joseph M.
  • Know I need to know how to set default boot system
    when I rebooted again I had to choose one of the 2 options
    BOOT to WINDOWS 10 on VOL 6 or BOOT to WINDOWS 10
    How do I know which is the correct one?
  • I got the BOOT options figured out.
    again I can't thank you enough for all the help!!!
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    @Joseph62

Just getting a chance to respond to this. Glad you got it taken care of. I assume you just changed the boot option in the BIOS, that was the correct action. Sounds like you've still have an orphaned entry. Not an issue if you just change the boot order. You can remove it from the boot tab of msconfig.
  • After completing your instructions and system booted
    I just went into msconfig.exe under the boot Tab, I deleted the extra win 10 line and left C:\win current sys
    Again I can't thank you enough for all the help. I had a total of 534GB of data, 20 years of photos, videos, music etc.
    You are a life saver! Thank You!
    My system hardware is about 10 years old maybe I come in and upgrade my system.
    My motherboard is Ggiabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3 rev 1.3, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz   3.60 GHz, 8 G Ram
    Would I be able to get a new motherboard and just use my existing hard drives?
    Below are the instructions I received from Acronis Customer Central. I knew they were very basic repair instructions and wouldn't work for my problem. Micro Center came Highly Recommended to my for this type of problem.

As I understand, you have performed the cloning task from the HP SSD to the WD drive, after the cloning process has completed, you are not able to boot the computer from the original disk. I will be happy to assist you with this. I would suggest you please please follow the below steps:

1. Shutdown the computer, remove all the drive except the original disk and attempt to boot the computer - Make sure you have the internal disk or the Windows disk manager selected as the first boot device in the BIOS settings.

2. If you have the same issue, please attempt to boot the computer in safe mode and update the drivers 

3. You can also run a repair installation for the Windows OS using the Windows installation media

a. Insert the installation DVD or USB and boot Windows 10 from it.

b. In the ‘Windows setup’ page select the ‘language to install’, ‘Time and currency format’, and the ‘keyboard or input method’ and click on ‘next’.

c. Click on ‘Repair your computer’ and select ‘Troubleshoot’.

d. Click on ‘Advanced options’ and select ‘Automatic Repair’ and select the operating system.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99