PSU failed after two days, can MOBO be cause, how to check MOBO for shorts?

Options

I need some advice...

I purchased a Gigabyte Gaming X Z390 MOBO, an Intel I7-9700K CPU, an Intel SSD 665 1TB, and 32 MB of Corsair memory from Micro Center. I also got an EVGA 110-BQ-0600-K1 PSU, a Scythe Mugen 5 Rev.B cooler, and a Corsair 100R case from Amazon for the build. I reused a Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD, a Gigabyte Radeon HD 7800 video card, and an optical drive from my old computer. I did not put the video card in the first day.

The build went well with YT help from Carey Holzman, and the machine ran perfectly for two days. I was using Open Hardware Monitor to check temps and another (cpuid) monitor for SSD temps. Assorted processing was excellent

Then the PSU failed and the machine would not respond to the power switch even though LED's were lighting up.

I disconnected the PSU and used a multimeter to ascertain that some 3.3 V pins were live but all 12 V pins were dead (using MOBO manual to id pins). Amazon is shipping me a replacement PSU.

The problem may have been a surge (my SP was very old) due to a charging item on the SP and possibly a vacuum cleaner trying to eat a rug corner. -- OR -- it may have been a short somewhere on the MOBO. I might have heard some faint clicking but am not completely sure.

Now, before I put in a new PSU, is there a way to verify the MOBO is not shorting? Can Micro Center test bench it for me?

Thanks -- JD

Comments

• JS_MC
    JS_MC admin
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    edited February 2021
    Options

Hello @JDW Welcome to the community!

We're able to diagnose builds, but not individual parts.

For more information about our service department check out our service page here.

It sounds like this is most likely due to the PSU short, but I'd recommend bringing in the build with the new PSU if you'd like for us to test and diagnose the possible issues.

• JDW
    Options

I got a resolution to my problem. It appears the PSU died from an external event or was faulty from mfgr. I received a replacement, installed it and dropped PC with Micro Center service for the $39.99 diagnosis. They ran tests over 2 days and gave it a clean bill of health. I consider that money well spent as I have peace of mind that the other components were not at fault or damaged by the failing PSU.

Thanks Micro Center!

• JS_MC
    Options

Happy to help!! Glad that everything was working well for you!

Thank you for sharing this with us!

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99