G164 - 2.5 expansion bay location?

Hi. I’m considering upgrading my g164 storage with the addition of a 2.5 ssd. It lists “(1) 2.5 expansion bay available” in the spec sheet. Where is the expansion bay for this located? I can’t see it in the stock photos and don’t want to open up the case if a) it’ll void my warranty to install one myself or b) if it’s hidden behind something that isn’t apparent. 

Thanks for your help! 

Comments

• Hello @Neef

Opening the case will not void your warranty, so no worries there.

The mounting point for the SSD in the G164 is a bit tricky to find, but there are two screw holes next to the possible fan mount on the back of the case.

You can mount it using these screw holes and the rail-style mounting points to the right.

Hope this helps, please let me know if I can answer any other questions or concerns.

• Neef
    Neef
    Name Dropper First Comment
    edited February 2021

@LandShark

Thanks. Could you possibly show what that would look like? It seems like you're saying to install it across/covering the honeycomb grill.

Wouldn't that make it more susceptible to damage and also negatively affect the airflow, if that's the recommended placement?

I also would like to keep the option of added a rear case fan. Is there no other place to put it?

Pictures of this install would definitely help if I'm not receiving the directions well. I appreciate the tips!

😎

• JS_MC
    JS_MC admin
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    edited February 2021

You have the correct idea here. It does hamper some airflow and limits you from installing a rear exhaust fan but it would not cause damage.

Another option would be to open the case on the right or back side. (depending on perspective)

There is a small partition used for cable management where you could place the SSD.

Or, since the SSD does not have any moving parts you could securely place the SSD in another location within the case. If you choose this option, be sure that the SSD is not touching any other parts. It should only be touching the case.

• Possible SSD location? What are these holes for? Can these be utilized for a SSD/SSD sled? This holes are 2.5in x 3.5in. If so, it would keep the SSD secured to the floor of the chassis and keep the honeycomb and case fan area clear of obstruction. 
  • Generally I would not believe this to be the spot. Below is a link for some of the other model lian li cases we use for powerspec computers and for the other models the 2.5 drive bays are on the back side of the computer. if you open that right panel you shoudl then see them.

https://community.microcenter.com/kb/articles/120-how-to-locate-the-additional-drive-bays-in-a-lian-li-micro-atx-205-case

• @TSKevinG Thanks for the help. I can't remember if I saw slots like that when I opened up the side panel or not. I'll have another look and worst case scenario, I'll just tape it somewhere inconspicuous.

• I definitely open up the side panel and consider storing it inside the cable management box. Thanks for the help!

• @TSKevinG I opened the side panel again. Definitely no SSD slots or bays there. I guess I need to get creative with the placement. I hate that the spec sheet says there's a 2.5 expansion bay available but that it isn't actually a traditional bay. It sucks to have to choose from either adding a rear fan OR, adding a SSD that the spec sheet says it will accomodate. Even if I weren't adding a rear fan, putting a ssd in that location on the back grill is just ugly presentation 🤨

• @Neef Are you able to take a picture of the side of the system where the panel is removed so i can see what you are seeing? I do not have a model here directly but we should be able to see it from the image

• @TSKevinG

While in the process of taking photos of the side, decided to do a last ditch effort and photograph everything in the case I thought was relevant to this thread. I started taking photos with flash and I think I accidentally discovered the 2.5 ssd mount on the underside of the shroud lol. It’s not easy to see unless you’re shining light directly into the case because of its orientation and because everything inside the case is black. 

Take a look and tell me what you think.

• If it were me, I'd put it in the top of the case inside the box where the excess wires are placed. I believe I can see the SATA power cable there waiting for it. 😊

Again, since there are no moving parts, there would be no hard in placing it there without a screw mounting it to the case.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99