Fan or cooler noise on a PowerSpec G436 Gaming Computer

I'm not quite a month into owning a PoweSpect G436.  Yesterday the rig started making a very loud and continuous noise while powered up.  It sounded like a cable running on a fan, but I have checked all the fans and none of them seem to be the culprit.  The sound seems to be localized to the Power Cooler.  Never dealt with a liquid cooling before.  Here's a video showing the sound and how stopping each easily-accessible fan does not alleviate the sound: https://photos.app.goo.gl/hu2nM3YpR9yzq9iu9
  • Is there some easy fix--something to check or tap to reduce the noise?
  • If not, what's the procedure/policy for remedying this under warranty?
Thanks,
Bob

Comments

• I'm not quite a month into owning a PoweSpect G436.  Yesterday the rig started making a very loud and continuous noise while powered up.  It sounded like a cable running on a fan, but I have checked all the fans and none of them seem to be the culprit.  The sound seems to be localized to the Power Cooler.  Never dealt with a liquid cooling before.  Here's a video showing the sound and how stopping each easily-accessible fan does not alleviate the sound: https://photos.app.goo.gl/hu2nM3YpR9yzq9iu9
    • Is there some easy fix--something to check or tap to reduce the noise?
    • If not, what's the procedure/policy for remedying this under warranty?
    Thanks,
    Bob

Greetings, after reviewing the video, this doesn't seem like something we'd be able to fix outside of the store. It seems to be something wrong with the cooler itself.

We are able to assist with the warranty directly at your local Micro Center store. An appointment is not needed for service, there may be some available online at https://www.microcenter.com/site/service/service.aspx Otherwise please visit the store with the computer and charger/power cable for assistance, store hours are 10am until 9pm Mon-Sat, 11am-6pm Sun. 
  • After 3 trips to Microcenter to try to fix this problem (the power cooler that needed to be replaced was out of stock each time), Microcenter replaced this PowerSpec outright (1/17/2021).  But now (13 days later), the same noise has developed in the new unit (https://photos.app.goo.gl/nGW7urJswpZQuZFu8).

The techs who helped the first time were very familiar with this issue--they said they had been fixing this a lot.  They also said that in addition to making the computer unacceptably loud, it would, over time, damage the computer.

What is my next step?  Replace the unit again?  Switch to a different cooling system?  Return the unit completely?  No one at the physical store answers the phone.  I'd like to settle on a solution before bringing it in, to save myself multiple long trips back and forth. 

• After 3 trips to Microcenter to try to fix this problem (the power cooler that needed to be replaced was out of stock each time), Microcenter replaced this PowerSpec outright (1/17/2021).  But now (13 days later), the same noise has developed in the new unit (https://photos.app.goo.gl/nGW7urJswpZQuZFu8).

The techs who helped the first time were very familiar with this issue--they said they had been fixing this a lot.  They also said that in addition to making the computer unacceptably loud, it would, over time, damage the computer.

What is my next step?  Replace the unit again?  Switch to a different cooling system?  Return the unit completely?  No one at the physical store answers the phone.  I'd like to settle on a solution before bringing it in, to save myself multiple long trips back and forth. 

Hello, I'll be sending you an email regarding this.
  • I had the same issue with my AIO cooling unit. It started exactly on the two week anniversary. I was told I could bring it in and have it fixed under warranty but I didn't want to have to leave it for who knows how long so I ended up buying another of the same cooler and replacing it myself. I hope this one lasts. The pumps on these seem to be very poor quality.
  • rcalinjageman  - Did this get fixed? My PowerSpec G467 is making a strange sound for the last ~2 weeks and I can't tell what it's coming from. It's brand new. 
  • Well, I bought a new water cooler, same as the original and it's been in about a week and so far so good. No rattle. At some point I may return the original and get it replaced but more likely I'll just be happy if this one stays quiet. It seems to do a good job of cooling. Plus I added one of the fans from the new cooler to the rear of the chassis for added exhaust flow and that seemed to bring the temps down another few degrees C. 

I was disappointed though that the original cooler pump only lasted 2 weeks. When I decided to replace it I wanted to put a good high quality air cooler such as the Noctua but as it turned out, there is not enough room in the case for any good quality air coolers.
  • Hello, @DMA if there was an issue with the watercooler in your build I would recommend bringing it into our service department. Since you mentioned that you just recently purchased this, it should still be under warranty and any part failure would be covered by said warranty.
    Thank you for sharing this feedback about your build. I'll be sharing this with our PowerSpec team!
    Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns!
  • BradESD
    BradESD
    Name Dropper First Comment
    edited February 2021

@Ian @LandShark, I have the same problems on my Powerspec G436. Cooler Master Pump causing extremely loud noise. You can feel one of the pump hoses vibrating. started about 6 weeks after purchase (really only 4 weeks of operation as it sat wrapped up as a Christmas Present).

About the same time as the pump failure, I also had the Microphone jack now causing what sounds like a ground loop hum when at microphone or even just any simple 1/4" to 1/8" mic adapter is plugged into either motherboard or case MIC jacks. Even without any other perpherial plugged in and an AC isolation transformer/hum bucker installed it continues. Even shut down the Magic Light LED's completely and disconnected all cords/connectors except desktop AC power and any mic or mic adapter and wireless(or wired) headphones and still bad static and hum. Never did this before the pump seemed to go bad. With no headphones plugged in the mic sensitivity meter shows tons of noise, with just any mic adapter plugged in as well. Can't even use it for audio production now, as this PC is used both for gaming and audio studio production. I live 4 hours away (Sioux Falls, SD) and only had the PC for 2 months. (problems started a few weeks ago). Not happy with the quality on this PC right now...especially after seeing all the complaints on the cooler masters.

@Ian @LandShark, I hope to come in and get these diagnosed and resolved asap. If it cannot be resolved same day, can I exchange for a replacement G436(I see there are 15 in stock currently), exchange for a different model/upgrade, or a refund?

• I am also having the same issue with my G436, purchased a month ago. Will same day repair in store be possible? I live 3 hours away from the nearest Microcenter, so I would really prefer not to have to make two separate trips.

• Hello @BradESD and @edward_s. Welcome to the community!

I'm sorry to hear that you're having an issue with your PowerSpec G436!

Please expect an email from us! Since you're both fairly far from the store, I'd like to get some more information to better assist you!

• BradESD
    BradESD
    edited February 2021

@LandShark , i received an email asking for Phone number, which I responded too and provided. Please have a St Paul, MN Microcenter manager all me as soon as possible. I did talk to a Service department technician (Austin I think) at the St. Paul, MN store and was helpful in answering a few questions but need a manager to discuss same day repair or replacement options, as I cannot be driving back and forth 4 hours each way for multiple days...especially when it seems that this is a known and ever growing customer issue with at least this G436 configuration. I would also like to know what the replacement to the cooler master model being used and is showing mass failure, because I don't want to go through this same problem weeks later as I see others have already endured. Thank you.

Questions:

1. Is this a Gen1 or Gen 2 Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L installed in these recent builds?
    2. In regards to the defective Cooler Master, Is there any way to get a replacement Cooler Master sent to my address via UPS, USPS, or FedEx? I can install it just fine and mail back the defective one. I am willing to use my credit card to hold until defective cooler master is returned.
  • Hello @BradESD we have the request in the ST Paul Store leadership call back queue. If they don't call you back today it should be tomorrow as they attempt to return customer calls during business hours. Let us know if you do not get a all back by tomorrow afternoon.

• Purchased a G436 for my son. It has the exact same issue with the pump. I will attempt to get it replaced. How have the other replacements gone?

• I took the G436 to Microcenter Parkville, MD today. The person who assisted me was incredibly helpful and offered to assist. They acknowledged they had seen several instances of this issue. They only bad news is that they did not have a replacement part in stock or an ETA on when would arrive. They created a work order for me and will contact me with replacement options. I'm hoping for a quick resolution!

• Great to hear that you're getting assistance in our store! If there is anything that I can help you with, please let me know!

• Climbingmoon
    edited February 2021

@LandShark I called to check in and there is still no ETA for the part. It seems like there is no availability or process to get the replacement part. I will try to wait it out another week, but I was hoping for a faster resolution.

• digital44
    digital44
    edited February 2021

I have the exact same issue with my G467 (same coolermaster 240ml), mine happened to go bad around 6-7 weeks. I keep hearing from multiple people that these coolers go bad after two weeks. I think it is pretty ridiculous that they cannot replace the AIO with another (better) cooler. I even said I would pay the difference for a more reliable cooler and they said they can only replace what was originally in there. At this point I am probably going to buy a better cooler myself. Otherwise I'm going to be making a trip to Microcenter every 2 weeks to get the bad cooler replaced when this is clearly a known issue with these. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

• Hello @digital44 and thanks for posting on the Microcenter Community Forum. Sorry you are also having issues with your G467 and the cooler master cpu cooler. We understand your stance on the cooler master cooler. But we'll add that these coolers have good reviews and are considered a very good quality manufactured cooler by cooler master.

Unfortunately with pre-built computers, whether its our brand, Powerspec, or a Dell, HP, etc., original oem parts is what is replaced in a pre-built PC under a warranty service. That's store policy. If the system was Dell computer we'd have to replace the cooler with the same manufactured cooler that originally came with the Dell computer, or the Dell Manufacturer's warranty would be voided.

Its up to you, but you could bring your powerspec to the store for service, assuming you are still under the 1 year warranty. The cooler master is actually a good cooler. Sounds like the cooler unit installed was quite frankly a dud. Sometimes computer components/units can be manufactured defective without the manufacturer or retailer knowing. The nature of electronics and technology.

You could also install another AIO of your chose into your powerspec and it would not void the warranty for the other components. But the warranty will not cover parts & labor for the AIO you installed nor will it cover components that are damaged or malfunctioned due to the AIO cooler the customer installed.

I hope that made sense. Sorry for the long book addition. Just wanted to share somethings from the MC side of the community house.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

• Thank you for the reply and I appreciate you laying the options out and I also understand that you have to go by the store policy. I ended up bringing it in this morning and they offered an alternative option that I am very pleased with so all is well. :)

• @digital44 Glad to hear that we were able to make an exception for you here! Thanks for sharing your experience!

• @digital44 Great to hear the store's options are satisfying to you and all well. I concur, thanks for sharing your experience.

• @digital44 Can you detail the alternative provided? It has been two weeks and the local store has not provided any update, ETA, or alternative.

• DMA
    DMA ✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment Name Dropper

Are you saying that you've had your new rig in the store for two weeks waiting for a repair and you have not been provided any update? If this is true it is appalling. My brand new G436 AIO Cooler Master crapped out exactly two weeks after I bought it. I didn't want to take it back to the store and have to wait for a repair but I never thought it would take WEEKS to get resolved.

Regardless I reluctantly went and purchased a replacement cooler myself, exactly the same brand and model hoping that my odds of 1 out of 2 performing without sounding like a water bong festival would be fairly high. And so far so good after about a month on the 2nd unit. But the fact remains that these Cooler Master AIO's are not performing very well at all with a high failure rate. Microcenter should be taking care of these issues promptly. A customer shouldn't have to wait weeks to repair a brand new computer due to poor quality components. Especially when so many are having issues. They need to look at a solution at the build level not at the warranty replacement level.

• @DMA Luckily, I still have the unit but it has been over two weeks with no clear indication of the plan to address the issue. I called the store but it appears they are not answering the phone, the chat support is no help saying I just have to wait because the part is back ordered. I have asked for a call back but the previous call back never yielded any results. The only option seems to be taking a trip to the store to beg for alternative options.

@TSTDavey @LandShark Are you able to provide any assistance to get this escalated?

• Hello @Climbingmoon I'd be happy to look into this. Someone should have reached out at this time. My apologies for the lack of response thus far. I'd like to get more info about this to see why this may have occurred and to ensure it doesn't in the future.

I'd strongly recommend going to the store about this if you are having hardware issues with your PowerSpec device.

Please be on the lookout for an email from us.

• @LandShark I visited the store on 2/16, this is when they created the original service ticket. While they were very nice, the problem seems to be that the replacement unit is back ordered with no ETA. My opinion is that if a replacement part cannot be provided in a timely manor, then a similar alternative part should be offered or they should start gutting them from the existing pre-build units they have until the back order is complete. I would prefer a different replacement part at this point given the high failure rate. I was open to alternative options but no one seems to be willing to provide one.

• Hey. When I brought it in to the store and mentioned that the CoolerMaster went bad, they recommended an air cooler instead. They put in a Noctua NH-D15S, it was ready later that day but I picked it up the following day. GL man hope you get this resolved soon!

• DMA
    DMA ✭✭

I wanted to replace the Cooler Master AIO with the very Noctua cooler you have referred to but the specs on the cooler and the case indicated there would not be enough headroom. Apparently it does fit. How much clearance do you have with the glass case cover? If so I will definitely replace with the Noctua if (or maybe I should say when) this CM unit wets the bed.

• Not sure exactly how much clearance but it's close to the glass, maybe quarter of an inch. I have the mid tower case, Lian Li LANCOOL 205 i believe.

• DMA
    DMA ✭✭

How are your temps with the Noctua as compared to the CM AIO? Also did you add any fans, assuming you removed the two that were integrated into the radiator?

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99