3D Artist Here

A_aronical
edited June 2021 in General Discussion

Hey, I'm a 3D Artist trained in animation in various programs including Modo, Maya, Cinema 4D, Mari, Mudbox, Zbrush, and others. If anyone has any questions, I'm willing to provide resources for people interested in this area.

Comments

• Hello @A_aronical and thanks for posting on the Microcenter Community Forum. Thanks for being open to sharing resources and tools with the community for those interested in 3D animation. I would be interested to know. For a beginning 3D animator who is just starting out, what free 3D animation software and tutorial sites would you recommend to download and install to learn 3D Animation?

• As far as free things go. Blender is the biggest free animation software, and it's pretty competitive with the big-name software. Even when I was learning Maya, it had features that weren't in that version of Maya as a default, despite Maya being the industry standard in many companies.

As for resources; you can't beat the main website:

There are great tutorials by Blender Guru, Grant Abbit, Blender Guru, and Yansculpts on youtube.

Also, if you're ever interested in preparing for the industry-standard in sculpting tools aka Pixologic's Zbrush; they have software known as Zbrush Core Mini (Previously Sculptris), but for most people, Blender's sculpting tools are just as good in the right hands.

And if you cannot afford some form of Photoshop (especially with its shift to a monthly subscription) then Gimp is a long-time alternative that complements Blenders texture tools.

Blender has some editing tools as well, but the free version of Davinci Resolve is a good start for many.

• A_aronical
    edited March 2021

I would love to, but my posts don't seem to be going through. Perhaps I am mentioning some software or links that the system doesn't like, and it's auto-deleting my posts?

• Ian
    Ian admin
    5 Insightfuls 5 Likes First Anniversary 5 LOLs

Sorry about that, something got caught by our spam filter, got that fixed.

• A_aronical
    edited March 2021

Thanks for the fix. So I'm going to avoid links just in case, but the best free stuff that a lot of people use includes:

3D Modeling, Sculpting, Animation, Texturing, and Editing:

Blender - So good it competes with professional costly software and even had features missing from Maya for a long while.

Sculpting Software:

Zbrush Minicore (formerly Sculptris) - A basic version of an industry-standard program (and my favorite sculpting program).

Photoshop alternatives include:

GIMP

Editing Software:

Davinci Resolve

My favorite free Blender tutorial buddies include:

blender.org

Grant Abbit on Youtube

Blender Guru on Youtube

CG Cookie on Youtube

Yansculpts on Youtube

• Ian
    Ian admin
    5 Insightfuls 5 Likes First Anniversary 5 LOLs

Great information here! Thank you for sharing!

• AlexPasseno
    AlexPasseno Store Associate
    5 Likes Micro Center Store Associate First Answer Name Dropper

Have you done any VR modeling yet? if so whatre your experiences?

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99