System Upgrade

Options
Jeremyds77
Jeremyds77 ✭✭
First Anniversary First Comment
edited June 2021 in General Discussion

I'm looking for some advice. The board/CPU in my 5 year old PC just died. I'm looking for some advice on components. I'm holding off on upgrading the GPU for now due to the inflated prices. I'm not a hardcore PC gamer, but I like to build computers to last me 5+ years. My budget for the following items is $500-600. I have an EVGA 750 G2 PSU that is still running great, all rails test within spec. Case has no window so RGB is not necessary. Also, built in wi-fi is not essential, the computer is next to the router.

Motherboard, processor, memory, m.2 SSD

Thanks for any sales advice. I live about an hour from the Minnesota store so like to keep trips to a minimum.

Comments

• JS_MC
    JS_MC admin
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    edited February 2021
    Options

Hello @Jeremyds77

With a budget of up to $600, I'd recommend the following.

https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder.aspx?load=be91351c-019e-4128-a0a4-cf1b7a4479cb

This is a great part list for the price and will offer you impressive performance. Great choice to have an M.2 SSD here.

Please let me know if you have any questions about these parts or any other additions you'd like to make.

Edit: Corrected build showcase link

• NameIdeas
    Options

I noticed the answer that was given did not include Ram (Memory) or the M.2 in the link.

https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder-amd.aspx?load=a999fa4e-f23c-4408-832d-0e5ced483148

I would recommend changing to AMD for your CPU (Processor). You will get a much better board and CPU for your money.

The built in coolers on the 3600 and the 3700 are more the enough to use, no need for new brackets.

The ram is from a top company and 3200 speed, good for the price.

The motherboard is no RGB, saves you a nice penny. And it is the x570 series for AMD.

The M.2 comes from one of the best brands for storage.

And it all stays under 600 USD.

If you can spring a tiny bit more I would upgrade the 3600 CPU to a 3700.

A nice upgrade for the MOBO is the Asrock steel legend, personally gave as a gift to my GF.

Ram is good, but if you want 32 GB the same brand will do just take 2x16 sticks instead. This is preferred then upgrading later as it keeps Ram in the same batch.

The m.2 has no need to be upgraded unless you want the 970 pro version. (Very much not needed)

• JS_MC
    Options

Great catch @NameIdeas!

It seems I'd pasted the incorrect link.

I've altered it now to the correct build list.

Also, great input about the build list that you've shared! Thanks for sharing your recommendations!

• Jeremyds77
    Jeremyds77 ✭✭
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2021
    Options

Thanks for all the advice. I ended up spending a little more than originally planning but it worked out fine since my old GTX 760 didn't die when my old CPU/motherboard did. I ended up going with:

• AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
    • Gigabyte X570 Gaming X
    • G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB 3200
    • Samsung 970 EVO SSD

So I want to start keeping an eye out for a new GPU. What would people recommend? I would be looking at around 500-600. Its not an emergency buy so I'm waiting for prices to come back to earth and product to become available again. Thanks!

• TSTDavey
    Options

@Jeremyds77 just chiming in. For GPUs to go with the 5600x, look at the RTX 3070 or 3080. You could also look at the Radeon RX 5700 or 6800 XT's.

Were not sure of your PSU, but make sure your PSU is good for whichever card you choose. You can just google, "What power supply wattage recommended for XXXXX" (enter in the gpu where X's is at)

• Jeremyds77
    Options

Thanks for the card recommendations. I have an EVGA 750 G2 PSU. A quick look at those 4 classes seems to indicate a range from 500 (RX 5700) -750 (RTX 3080). So based on having only a 750 should I avoid the RTX 3080?

• Ian
    Ian admin
    First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls 5 Likes 5 LOLs
    Options

Typically 3080's recommend a 750W power supply, so you should still be good with that. I see a lot of users online with the same or similar power supply and they do not have an issue running it.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99