Spontaneous restarts - wondering if PSU replacement will fix

Question:  Will replacing my PSU resolve the below problem? I'm obviously open to other suggestions as well. If it's worth a shot, what Corsair PSU is recommended?
Issue Description:
While playing higher-demanding games (Dota2, Assassin's Creed), computer will either restart without warning (90% of time) or will freeze and require a hard shutdown/reboot to resolve (10%). Current rate of occurrence is roughly once every hour of gameplay. Issue does not occur unless playing something like a AAA title on higher graphic settings. Rate has been slightly increasing since first occurrence last October. Drivers are up-to-date. Issue has persisted across multiple video card updates.
Timeline:  2014 - PC Built; 2019 - upgraded video card; Oct 2020 - Issue began
Specs: OS=Windows 10 Home 64-bit ; Processor=Intel Core i7-4790k ; Video Card=GeForce RTX 2070 Super ; PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 750W
Event Viewer: Always the same Event 41 Kernel-Power error
BugcheckCode 0
BugcheckParameter1 0x0
BugcheckParameter2 0x0
BugcheckParameter3 0x0
BugcheckParameter4 0x0
SleepInProgress 0
PowerButtonTimestamp 0
BootAppStatus 0
Checkpoint 0
ConnectedStandbyInProgress false
SystemSleepTransitionsToOn 0
CsEntryScenarioInstanceId 0
BugcheckInfoFromEFI false
CheckpointStatus 0
CsEntryScenarioInstanceIdV2 0
LongPowerButtonPressDetected false

Comments

• Hello, @Tarvishify Have you checked to ensure that your chipset drivers are up to date?
    I'd also recommend using DDU to completely remove your GPU drivers and then perform a fresh install of the GPU. It's possible a driver component from your previous GPU may be causing these resets. Are there any other events being shown in the Event Viewer? The Event 41 Kernel-Power simply means that the system shut down unexpectedly. Unfortunately, we can't glean much information from this.
    After you've reinstalled the GPU driver and made sure the chipset drivers are up to date we could move to hardware. Since you mentioned this started with the installation of a new GPU, I'd think it is either the GPU or the PSU, as the new GPU could cause a higher power draw on the PSU and may be causing the protection reset, though I doubt this to be the case. 750W should be more than enough for this system. I would reseat the GPU, just in case, that may be an issue there.
    Please let us know if any of these are the solution for your system!
  • Nailed it! Cleaned the slate for all previous video card drivers. I hadn't taken steps to remove those after I upgraded video cards, so it made sense.

Probably logged 20 hours now of gameplay on the problem games without reoccurrence.

• Fantastic! Glad to hear that this solved it for you!

Thanks for letting us know!

• Hey LandShark - wondering if we can revive this one. I'll admit that I hadn't tested as much as I would've liked. Now that I've been playing more again I'm seeing no improvement in volume of freezes/restarts.

So I've used DDU, chipset drivers are good, reinstalled GPU driver. As for other logs...

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID {2593F8B9-4EAF-457C-B68A-50F6B8EA6B54} and APPID {15C20B67-12E7-4BB6-92BB-7AFF07997402} to the user GASTON\The Real Gaston SID (S-1-5-21-1758510444-694418890-3629878166-1002) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

I think the same log is recurring around the same time of each shut down.

Any next steps you'd recommend?

• @Tarvishify just chiming in. So are you getting random restarts again? What is the gpu and motherboard that you have in your system?

• Yes, random restarts again during gameplay. Same problem as before.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 Super

• @Tarvishify hmmm the z97x is a little bit of an older board but is compatible with the 2070 super. What bios version are you on? You can right click on the start menu (4 white squared windows in lower left) and select RUN. Type msinfo32 and hit enter. Respond back with your Bios version the whole row.

Another option may be to bring your build into the store for diagnostic.

• BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. F7, 6/17/2014

SMBIOS Version 2.7

• Ian
    Ian admin
    5 Insightfuls 5 Likes First Anniversary 5 LOLs

It appears it is a few versions of date. You can try updating that to see if it would help. https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z97X-UD3H-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios

Otherwise, we offer walk-in service so an appointment is not required for service. Our Technicians are available Monday-Saturday from 10am-9pm and Sundays from 11am-6pm.

However, if you’d still like to let us know when you plan to arrive you can schedule a service appointment here:

https://www.microcenter.com/site/service/service.aspx

• It's a little silly, but I attempted the 64-bit update several times and got error messages saying that I needed to download 64-bit update... Putting those driver updates aside, I'd like to consider an update to the motherboard and processor.

I understand if this is not normal intake for a build (cause this is a troubleshooting discussion and I would be recycling most of the components) but the restarts are becoming more frequent and VR is starting to misbehave as well.

• @Tarvishify just chiming in. So you are wanting to upgrade cpu and board instead of troubleshooting issue, understood. Do you have a question regarding a new board and CPU?

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99