Trouble with Lancool II Mesh and ASUS Z590-PLUS MB

AVMan
AVMan ✭✭
Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
edited April 2021 in General Discussion

Having significant problems with the ASUS Z590-PLUS. I can't find drivers for about five items (including the SM Bus) and I cannot figure out how to connect my Lancool II case to the MB so that it 1) recognizes that there are chassis fans installed and 2) can control them. The software will adjust the fan speed manually, and the case switch will also adjust the speed, but the MB fan controller only shows the CPU fan and no others. I've tried all the different onboard headers I can find that aren't used by the CPU, and have had no luck.

ASUS's website has generic drivers that don't resolve any of the issues in Device Manager, either. Anyone else have suggestions on how to resolve either of these issues?

Comments

• Hello @AVMan and thanks for posting on the Microcenter Community Forum.

First can your system boot to windows (you mention device manager which should mean you are able to get to windows)?

Second, you mentioned you can't connect your case to your Motherboard, so you are unable to attach your motherboard to the Lancool II case, is this correct?

Is your board the Asus TUF gaming z590 plus motherboard?

Where on the Z590 are you plugging in your chasis fans? Your fans should be plugged into the Cha_FAN 4 pin ports on the board. The board should have small labels next to each port designating what they are. See manual below, check out page# 10 for the board layout.

If your motherboard is the ASUS TUF Gaming Z590, manual below.

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1200/TUF_GAMING_Z590-PLUS_WIFI/E17660_TUF_GAMING_Z590-PLUS_WIFI_UM_web.pdf

• AVMan
    AVMan ✭✭
    edited April 2021

Hello @TSTDavey. I can get into Windows just fine. I am able to connect the MB to the case; I cannot figure out where to connect the FAN connector to the MB for it to register as being connected. The fans have power, and the on-screen (in-Windows) app can control their speed, but the MB itself doesn't detect them and says there are no auxiliary fans installed.

My MB is the Z590-Plus model. I thought I was getting the Wi-Fi version, but possibly not? It says "WiFi6" on the box, but it could be one of the many PCI or unknown devices missing drivers.

I have the manual (paper and PDF) but none of them tell me which input to use, and the PDF also says the inputs may vary based on the model, which isn't very helpful. Today my Bluetooth adapter stopped working randomly: it was plugged into the top of the case (other peripherals work) and it works in other PCs. I just think I need a complete set of drivers, and I don't know where to get them from ASUS.

• @AVMan you are trying to connect your chassis (case) fans correct? Or are you having issues with your CPU fan/heatsink/cooler on where to plug that in?

Below is the link for drivers. We're just a little confused on what you are trying to connect and where are you connecting on the MB. The MB has labels for everything that needs to go on the board. The labels are small but readable.

Link:

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/All-series/TUF-Gaming-Z590-PLUS-WIFI/HelpDesk_Download/

• AVMan
    AVMan ✭✭

@TSTDavey, I have tried connecting the MB chassis fan to all of the different headers. Again, they all power the case fans, but the MB doesn't register that any fans are attached in BIOS or the fan utility.

There are also five unknown devices, and that's with all peripherals unplugged. I also just updated the BIOS (released today on ASUS' website) but no change.

Device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_43E9&SUBSYS_86941043&REV_11\3&11583659&0&A9 requires further installation.

Device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_43A4&SUBSYS_86941043&REV_11\3&11583659&0&FD requires further installation.

Device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_43E8&SUBSYS_86941043&REV_11\3&11583659&0&A8 requires further installation.

Device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_43A3&SUBSYS_86941043&REV_11\3&11583659&0&FC requires further installation. (SM Bus)

Device ACPI\INT34C6\2&daba3ff&1 requires further installation. (Unknown Device)

The CPU fan has never been a problem and registers/runs just fine.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Greetings @AVMan

Specifically with what you're seeing, you're missing chipset drivers and management engine.

Chipset: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1200/TUF_GAMING_Z590-PLUS_WIFI/Intel_Chipset_Driver_V10.1.18634.8254_WIN10_64-bit.zip

Management Engine: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1200/TUF_GAMING_Z590-PLUS_WIFI/Intel_MEI_V2040.100.0.1029_WIN10_64-bit.zip

See if you have any uninstalled devices after installing those two drivers.

• AVMan
    AVMan ✭✭

@TSMikeW : that did it. However you managed to find it - thank you! Now all I need to do is figure out the fans and everything is golden.

Thanks again!

• PowerSpec_MikeW

@AVMan

Regarding the chassis fans, this will depend on how those fans connect to the motherboard. If they're connected to the board through a fan header, they'll show up. If they're connected through a controller on the LanCool II case, that connects to a USB header, then the board isn't going to detect them as chassis fans.

Looks like on this board it's a bit different. There is a controller, but it goes out through the fan control speed switch on the front. Should connect to a PWM header on your motherboard, then you can set it to motherboard PWM signal sync, the right most setting. Where is this cable connected?

• AVMan
    AVMan ✭✭
    edited May 2021

Following up on this, @TSMikeW and maybe you can help. I have all of the drivers installed, but the system still freezes on average once daily. I know it has something to do with heat dissipation, but I can't figure out what. If I run Intel's burn-in tool, as soon as the CPU hits 200ºF the system stops running. It doesn't turn off, per se, it just freezes, totally.

As you mentioned in your previous comment, the system doesn't recognize that there are chassis fans installed, and it never tries to cycle them up due to the the controller on the LanCool II case. I have tried EVERY PWM header on the MB, and nothing I do helps. Also, ASUS has pushed out two BIOS updates in the past couple of weeks, and now the switch on the case no longer even adjusts the fan speed.

However, my bigger concern is that the CPU fan, which is hooked up and detected by the BIOS, doesn't seem to spin up as the CPU is utilized more. I built PCs myself since the late 80s and I've never had this many problems, and I dealt with jumpers in Windows 3.1 days. Also, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to hook up the reset switch to the header on the MB. Power works, but the reset switch does nothing. The labels on the MB correspond (I think - my eyes aren't as good as they were in the 80s) with the jumpers on the pins, but I can find nothing on ASUS's site that isn't in the manual, and Lian Li just gives me generic responses that the MB is compatible with the case without any supporting documentation or help.

Thoughts? Ideas? Prayers? Required offerings to the tech gods?

• PowerSpec_MikeW

@AVMan

200F is under 94c. The processor shouldn't become unstable, it should go up to 100c then throttle hard. Regardless if the temp is an issue, it should shutdown rather than freeze. List your full system specs for us. I'm particularly interested in what GPU you're using. If it's AMD, list your driver version as well.

I'll setup one of these boards tomorrow and see if I have any issues with the fan headers.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99