850W PSU for 5950X and 6900XT Ultimate Red Devil

Options
Hello!   So apart from the 5950X and ASUS ROG VIII Hero Mobo that I picked out, all the other parts in my build were picked by the sales associate who assisted me with my BYOPC.  My main concern is the that the 850W PSU is not going to be sufficient enough to power the GPU, let alone, run the system smoothly under stressed situations.  I also read that not having enough power can damage the GPU and other parts of the system over time. The manager at the Brooklyn Microcenter assured me that I would have no issues.  What are your thoughts on this matter?

Comments

• TS_EmileC
    Options

Hello @Drins! The 6900XT can work fine with even a 750W psu. The 850W gives an extra 100W overhead for any additional components or load put on the system. What were you planning to run on your system?

• Drins
    Drins
    First Comment
    edited April 2021
    Options

Hello,  Emile!  Well, the reference 6900XT comes with a 750W PSU recommendation but the Powercolor Ultimate Red Devil version I have as of now comes with a 900W recommendation. 

As for what I was planning on running, I was first going to run some benchmarks and then move onto some of my more graphics-intensive games.  
  • TSTDavey
    Options

@Drins just chiming in. Let us know the results of your benchmarking and let us know if there are more questions we (@TS_EmileC and MC Admins) can answer for you.

• Drins
    Options
    Hello as well, Davey!

Currently, the computer is still at the Brooklyn Microcenter, due to my concerns about the PSU. I told them to hold onto it, in the event there was a higher capacity PSU with the Friday shipment.  

As of now, my concerns are still there, since instead of a surplus of wattage, there’s a deficit.  
  • TSTDavey
    Options
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99