Can I Re-Use My HP Prebuilt 690-0073w's GTX 1660 Ti & i5 9400F W/a New Case & New Motherboard?

Options

Hi everyone!

Please let me know if you can help me with this question.

I've been looking to change my desktop gaming PC set-up to a small-form-factor and semi-portable mini-ITX build. I'd like to use a Skyreach Mini 4 or a Sentry 2.0 case. The PC I'm currently using is a prebuilt HP Pavilion 690-0073w, and it may have its own proprietary motherboard. Since new graphics cards are not easy to come by at reasonable prices, I would like to know whether the GTX 1660 Ti that's in this HP prebuilt would be usable without that HP prebuilt's motherboard, or if it has some sort of dependency on the HP motherboard's BIOS. I'm happy enough for now with the GTX 1660 Ti's performance, and I'd like to put that graphics card, assuming it fits, along with my SATA 2TB SSD from Micro Center, my M.2 512GB SSD, and my 16 GB of RAM into a SkyReach Mini 4 (4 liter case) or a Sentry 2.0 (7 liter case). I would then pair those components with a new, more compact mini-ITX motherboard and power supply.

Is there a way that I could look up in my PC's Windows info or BIOS info whether or not this particular GTX 1660 Ti (which may be proprietary by HP as well) can operate independently of the motherboard? Also, would it be possible to continue using the Intel i5-9400F CPU that is now in my HP prebuilt with a new motherboard inside a new Sentry 2.0 or Skyreach Mini 4 case? Thanks for your help!

Answers

• Baldr
    Options

I'm not part of microcenter, but I suspect that both the CPU and GPU will do what you are wanting, as long as the GPU will fit in the new case. Since your goal is a much smaller case, the physical size of the GPU may be a problem, so I think that's the first thing to check.

That CPU has no onboard graphics, so if the GPU can't be used in the new system, you will need a GPU that fits. Or a different CPU that has on board graphics. If you don't game or do anything requiring a discrete graphics card, and are aiming for a small system, then a new CPU that has on board graphics may be the best solution.

• JohnF
    Options
    Thanks for the reply, Baldr! I’m glad to hear that I will probably be able to re-use the GPU and CPU, as long as they fit in the new case. I do a lot of Windows 10 gaming - thanks for asking and clarifying that - so I would like to keep using my discrete GPU. I will check whether my components fit in either of the new cases that I mentioned. 
  • magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment First Answer
    Options

Yes, agree that the video card and CPU can definitely be moved to a new system. One thing is that the CPU coolers on those HP's tend to be the absolute minimum so be sure to include a decent cooler in your new system to extend the life of the CPU. And their GPU coolers are the same but those are not replaceable. So a new case should ideally have case fans that can blow fresh cool air straight on to where the card will be located.

• JohnF
    Options
    Thanks for the reply, Magarity! I’ll certainly be getting a couple of good fans, one for the GPU and one for the CPU, when I move those components to a new case. I was looking into Noctua fans. 
  • JS_MC
    JS_MC admin
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    edited August 2021
    Options

@JohnF I'm a big fan of Noctua fans! 😁 If you're not looking for RGB, they are my first recommendation.

• magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment First Answer
    Options

Noctua are quite good but I prefer Corsair's ML series. It stands for magnetic levitation and they last a long, long time even compared to Noctua. For the CPU, consider an AIO liquid cooler if your new case can fit one.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99