Salvage some parts for a Blender pc

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/3DRkcf

Here is my current system, but I think I need to get a new motherboard to fix my issue, so I figured I would take this moment to make it to render blender better because I'm currently using a Mac laptop due to my pc problem. So I'm asking for help to see what I should get and replace what I already have. I heard AMD is better than Intel for blender, so I was thinking of going with AMD. I was given the graphics card, so I would like to keep it. I don't have a lot of money but if anyone can recommend a cheap and or a mid level setup that would be helpful. I heard if I went with AMD I would have to only replace the motherboard, CPU, and ram while keeping the rest.

Comments

• magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment First Answer
    edited September 2021

Blender's "optimum" system recommendation says any graphics card with 12GB+ of RAM. So that leaves you with Radeon 6700 XT or higher on the AMD side. nVidia cards' memory sizes are a little strange, because the lowest end 30-series model, 3060 has 12GB but then 3060 Ti, 3070, 3070 Ti, and 3080 all have less than 12. Only when you get up to 3080 Ti does nVidia get back up to 12GB. This is probably why you heard AMD is better for blender? If you can get through on AMD Direct's drop days then a 6700 XT for $479 is your best bet for AMD. Microcenter supposedly carries EVGA 3060 with 12GB for $409 which is your best budget choice but in stock is super hard to find.

Something like Blender is so dependent on the type of calculations that GPU's do that you can buy the latest most expensive i9 or Ryzen 9 and still be waiting around on it to process compared to a low end CPU with a 12GB graphics card.

You don't require a new motherboard to put a 6700 XT in it. A new mb and CPU would be "nice" but nowhere near what a new GPU will do for you. Blender's own system requirements page just says "64 bit processor with 8 cores" so you could buy a i5 instead of that i3 but honestly those GTX 670 with only 2GB of RAM is what's killing you on Blender because even the "recommended" says Blender wants 4GB cards.

• magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭

PS - I have assumed that your "issue" is just that Blender is way too slow, not that your motherboard has some actual malfunction.

• magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭

By amazing coincidence the 3060 12GB is in stock this morning at least in Denver

• @magarity my issue I mentioned wasn't in regard to the graphics card. I don't know if you were able to see my parts list from that link, but somewhere on that page I wrote a description of my issue I'm having with the pc that I've had since I built it many years ago. I only used it once for blender in June and after my render animation finished overnight the hard drive died, and it no longer works, so I lost everything. I'm not that great at understanding hardware, so I'm trying to understand what you're saying. Are you suggesting I just get an i5 and a new graphics card instead? I would like to spend less than 800 for everything. I just got a job with the help of Autism Hire and I don't have much saved up yet, so until I have some saved up I'm just using my Mac laptop to use blender. I don't want to risk damaging my last hard drive for my pc cause of my hardware issues.

• magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭
    Ah ok, I did not see the issue descripion on the other page. Do you live near a Microcenter? They can diagnose it if you bring it in, and I honestly think getting the part causing the problem replaced will be the most cost effective. In Denver they charge $50 for a diagnosis. Depending on what that is, you may have enough of the 800 budget left to maybe get the 3060. That I think is you best bet for Blender happiness.
  • Hey @adlowe07 I'm a bit confused on your issue here or what you're asking specifically.

If you're having hardware issues @magarity is correct, you can definitely bring it into our service department.

I see you mentioned that it was a hard drive issue. If you're looking to replace your hard drive, you can definitely do so for under 800. If you're looking to replace the CPU and Motherboard, you'll also need to replace the memory. These can all be replaced for under $800. I'd recommend visiting our service department and our Build your own department.

We're happy to help here too, but I think we'd need a bit more info about what parts you're looking to keep and what you're looking to fit into this $800 budget.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99