Graphic card compatibility with a HP Pavilion Desktop Computer

Options

We have a HP Pavilion Desktop Computer, Intel i5, 12GB RAM, 256GB SSD (TP01-1026) and we want to put a nvidia 1650 card in it. The card has a 6 pin connector. Must it be used, or is it enough to put the card in a PCIe slot? Thanks

Answers

• magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment First Answer
    Options

The 1650's that have 6 pin power connectors are the factory overclock models and need the power. If your power supply does not have that cable then you need to find one of the 1650 that does not need it.

• Ian
    Options

Just to add on to that, this would be true with any model of video card that requires PCI-e power (at least sold recently / for sale currently), you have to plug in that power cable if the card requires it, it is not optional.

• barwest2
    Options

what would be an equivalent model of graphics card if there is no 6 pin connector on the power supply? to be honest, i don't even know if it does and hp is providing no support to answer the question of whether it does or not. we have a HP Pavilion Desktop Computer, Intel i5, 12GB RAM, 256GB SSD (TP01-2226). perhaps you can help as i would bring in my desktop for you to install the card. thanks

• magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    Options

I think only the "Super" and OC versions of 1650 needs the extra power. The base 1650 does not at least the one I had did not have a 6 pin socket.

You could use a screwdriver to remove the cover of your HP and see if there is a spare 6 pin power cable. Do this when it is turned off.

HP names all their computers "Pavilion" so it is hard for anyone reading here to know what power supply cables you might have in there.

• magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    Options

If this is the model you have, no, you cannot add a 1650 to it

HP Pavilion Desktop - TP01-1026 Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

It says "180 W Gold efficiency power supply"

A 1650 Super that needs a 6 pin will use 100 W all by itself. That means not power left for the CPU and other parts. nVidia recommends a minimum 350 W power supply. Using a 1650 Super with your current power supply would draw too much power and blow something out. The worst case is that it could catch on fire.

So it doesn't matter if there's a spare 6 pin in there or not.

• Ian
    Options

That is a great point. You would indeed need to upgrade the power supply to support a video card like this.

@barwest2 you asked about store service, if you'd like to bring your PC in to a Micro Center store, they can assist you in-store with both a power supply and video card install. No appointment needed.

• barwest2
    Options

what equivalent card would microcenter recommend without needing to upgrade the power supply? a different version of the nvidia card? what other card(s) would you recommend?

• Ian
    Options

There isn't going to be an equivalent graphics card that will not require you to change out the power supply. Any video card like this is going to require roughly a 500W supply, if not more.

• barwest2
    Options

what card do you recommend that microcenter can install that will give me the best performance? one that is reasonably priced and will be able to be accommodated by my desktop?

• Yingdong
    Yingdong ✭✭✭
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Likes
    edited October 2021
    Options

There is NO Dedicated Graphics Card you can plug in without changing the power supply. If you do that, your power supply, will literally explode, probably dying along with the whole system. You have this 180w power supply, i5 already taken ~100w, and the rest 80w is barely enough for your cpu fans, ssds, rams and IO plug ins. Probably something like a low profile gtx 750 or gt1030may work, but they make no sense as they suffered to run games at low 1080p.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99