powerspec g900 random reboots

Options

Hi,

When I purchased this computer and got it home the first thing I noticed was that anything using the SSD was very slow. I did some searching and there is a known(ish) issue with the WD sn550 that causes it to run at like 10% speed. Downloaded the WD dashboard from western digital and ran the updates for the drive. Now it is nice and fast.

However I have an ongoing issue with the computer where it will randomly restart 1 to 2 times a day. It doesn't matter if its in a game, or just the desktop. It is not at specific times.

Event viewer doesn't show any events leading up to the restarts. The events go from normal operation to the normal startup events with gaps in time stamp from the last normal events until the restart of sometimes up to hours.

I have ran all windows updates manually, the restarts aren't caused by windows updating.

The RBG is set to run by temp and the computer isn't in the red range when it restarts. There are no heat warnings that i can find.

I have updated all drivers for the specific motherboard (Asus TUF)

I have updated the drivers for the video card (including clean install).

This was an open box purchase and it came with no software, no restore for windows or media to run a clean install of windows.

I suspect the computer is browning out as I cannot link any specific activity (active or scheduled) to these restarts.

Where do I go from here?

Comments

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    5 Insightfuls First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Options

@defensegrid

Power seems likely, given the description sounds like an intermittent power loss. Difficult to rule this out without a second machine to log voltage data up to the moment of the crash. This is a feature of HWINFO64. You can log the data on another system, directly via an ethernet cable, ran directly between the PC's. Power fits, as any other issue other than a drive issue, should result in a BSOD. This can differ with NVME drives, versus SATA drives though, so I wouldn't completely rule it out, and you did experience issues with this drive out of the box.

Reinstalling the OS to completely rule out software, which I doubt is an issue, is a good idea. Nothing here indicates a memory issue, but running memtest86 overnight since it wouldn't access the NVME drive at all, and seeing if you get a reboot would rule out the drive and OS if it did reboot, and we'd focus on the VRM/PSU/Surge Protector/Outlet.

So far as reinstalling the OS, that would rule out a software issue and it's a wise course of action. You can make a Windows 10 recovery drive here at anytime: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 or for Windows 11 here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows11

We can help you with the drivers. I'd prefer to grab the latest from the ASUS site for the board, and the latest GPU drivers from Nvidia.com. You can get the original driver set on PowerSpec.com here: http://powerspec.com/systems/archives/system_archive.phtml?selection=G900&submit.x=0&submit.y=0

• Thank you for the response.

I also do not think this is a software issue. Normally if it was software related there would be something in the event logs.

Do i need to take it into microcenter to get the power supply tested or replaced?

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    5 Insightfuls First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Options

@defensegrid

You can certainly bring it in for diagnostic services. You have the one year warranty on a PowerSpec, that would cover a failure like this. The issue is going to be hard to solve without swapping in another PSU and watching it for a while. As I mentioned before, you could log it remotely with HWINFO64 and hopefully you see the voltages drooping before the shutdown, but that depends on what the issue is exactly.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99