Which PCIe cards would enable a connection from a Dell G5 5090 to a AOC I1601C?

rmissey
rmissey
Name Dropper First Comment
edited November 2021 in Help Choosing Parts

I've recently bought an AOC I1601C to use as an extra monitor for my work laptop and home desktop.

The monitor fires up beautifully with the work laptop - an HP ZBook Studio G5 running Windows 10 Pro.

When I connect it to my home desktop - a Dell G5 5090 running Windows 11 - the monitor can't/won't make a connection. The logo shows up, it briefly says "No Signal", then it goes blank.

As I understand it, I need a Thunderbolt port on the Dell desktop. Any recommendations on good PCIe cards for this? I'm not looking for most expensive top-of-the-line, just something to fit this use case.

Thanks in advance!

Answers

• Good afternoon @rmissey

I do apologize you are having issues with the dell computer. Are you able to test the system with a different monitor to verify that the issue is with the system. Also was this dell system purchased from micro center?

• magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment First Answer

No, no, it is not a case of having trouble with the Dell. The external monitor is a "Thunderbolt" type which apparently the Dell does not have. Maybe it only has the basic USB-C which is confusing because the plug is the same but not the full functionality.

Amazon has listings for Thunderbolt PCIe cards that are not graphics cards but your Dell would need to have CPU based graphics in it which looks like it does if it has Intel CPU. One of those would probably work but you should get the details on any particular model to make sure.

• Magarity's correct - no issues with the Dell desktop, except that it doesn't have built-in Thunderbolt capability.

I ordered an Asus ThunderboltEX 4 online & installed it. I didn't have any luck with that, but Asus support wasn't helpful in figuring out why. Is there any resource I can look at that will show me PCIe Thunderbolt cards that will work with my desktop system to support this monitor?

I primarily bought it as an extra monitor for a laptop, but would love to use it on the desktop too. If it comes down to not being able to use it on the desktop, bummer, but not a huge deal.

Thanks!

• magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment First Answer

There is probably a Reddit about Thunderbolt but it's a bit rare of a topic for this forum.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99