Internal Wiring Diagram ?

I love this thing. I have a 8 gig RPI4 coming and want to add a few extra buttons. 2 Pinball buttons. LT and RT, and cant find a wiring diagram to trace colors. Anyone have one ?

Comments

• Hello @DonJewelsNJ What diagram are you looking for?
    I'd be happy to see if we can find one for you!
  • You can find a wiring diagram for the XinMo controller used in the Fight Sticks and arcade cabinets here:

http://www.xin-mo.com/dual_player.html

If you're using Retropie you'll need to configure the inputs in both the Retropie and RetroArch GUIs. It doesn;t really matter what you connect them to since you'll ultimately configure them anyways. You'll also need to add the USB quirk noted at the bottom of the page linked above to get the second player to be recognized by Retropie. 
  • The buttons aren't labeled on the arcade systems, and I'm not familiar with typical game controller layouts . . . what is the conventional assignment of the shapes and L1, R1, etc. to the control panel layout? Also, there's 20 buttons on the arcade system and 28 button inputs on the xin-mo device; which ones usually *aren't* used?

I guess I can lay it out any way I like, but surely there's a commonly used scheme, right?

• Hello, can you link us to which specific items you have so we can look into this further with you?

• RobTheBold
    edited December 2021

It's this one:

I should add that as I watch the assembly video on youtube, I can see the presenter using a schematic diagram (not just the pinout quoted earlier) but my kit didn't come with that document, but I can't quite get a good look at it on camera.

• Ok, the diagram I think I'm looking for is the one you can see in the time-lapse video linked to that instructables tutorial here:

You can see it more clearly in the longer video.

Here's a screen grab from that one:

This doc seems to indicate a conventional mapping of controls to their physical location on the array of buttons on the arcade control panel. It's mentioned in the instructables, but didn't come with my kit. I can almost, but not quite make out the details from a screen capture. Does this document or one like it exist somewhere I could download it? Or is something that the presented himself for his own reference?

• They likely created their own wiring diagram but may have used this pinout.

http://www.xin-mo.com/dual_player.html

• Another thought on this. For the wires that aren't connected, I'm thinking you could connect it to a button switch along with a ground on the other side of the switch. The black wires look to be grounds. Then go into the controller config in RetroPie, then just press the switch and the label for that particular wire should pop up on the screen. Then just swap out the wire to the switch with the next unconnected wire and continue.

• Rednroll
    Rednroll ✭✭
    First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited January 2022

I spent some more time looking into this. It was simple enough to just connect a switch between the non connected white wires and a ground coming off of the xin-mo controller board since all the wires are already there, where there's a few extra black ground wires which are the grounds as well. After connecting those additional wires to switches, they show up with their input assignment when configuring the inputs through retroarch.

However, here's a problem I ran across. I'm mostly into the 80's arcade games where most of them run best using the lr-mame2003 emulator which is the same emulator the MC Atari arcade games are using. What you will find is that the unconnected wires are J1(Joystick1) inputs (8-15) and J2 (8-15). What I found is although the inputs work once you connect a switch across them, it seems to matter which emulator you're using to launch a game rom in regards to those additional available wires on the Xin-mo controller working or not. For example, I wanted to add a button which launced the config menu screen to my MC Atari console, the same one which comes up when you press the TAB button on a keyboard as well as a "Pause" game button. What I discovered is that the lr-mame2003 emulator will only recognize inputs J1 (1-7) and J2 (1-7) inputs, which are all the same ones the MC/Atari consoles already have connected to buttons on my dual fight stick with trackball. Inputs 8-15 are not recognized/supported by the lr-mame2003 emulator.

I've been having better luck configuring the Atari arcade game roms to use the Adv_Mame and Adv_Mame1.4 emulators instead. When using those ADV-MAME emulators they seem to support the additional 8-15 inputs on the X-mo controller and can then be configured to do whatever you would like. The problem there is that not all of the Atari game roms will run under those ADV-MAME emulators. For example, I found the missile command Atari rom will not run using the Adv-mame emulators.

Earlier it was mentioned of being able to add additional buttons to the side for arcade pinball games which is another thing I wanted to do as well and have done. I expect I will have to use the Adv-mame emulators to make use of those additionally wired buttons, but then hope that particular pinball game rom works with the adv-mame emulator. If it's another lr-mame2003 emulator only game rom, then you're out of luck on that front unless someone knows some additional configurations which can be performed to get the lr-mame2003 emulator to recognize the Xin-Mo inputs J1/J2 8-15?

Overall, I've been having better success launching most of the Atari Arcade game roms with the Adv-mame emulators instead of the MC configured lr-mame2003 emulator. My game screens are not cut off on my HDTV, my trackball, and spinners all work better, as well as supporting the additional Xi-Mo inputs. So far just found missile command doesn't work when using that approach and have yet to be able to get my track ball to work properly while trying to play Missle command while using the lr-mame2003 emulator. Sure wish MC/Atari would have had that configured for me to work properly.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99