ASUS B550-F gaming ROG Strix LAN Problems

Options

I am supposed to have 900mbs but when I run a speed test it will get maybe 300 if I am lucky and then bottom out to 0. I am still connected to the internet but will have huge spikes of lag where a webpage will take forever to load. I have tried swapping LAN cables with my boyfriend's computer and he will get 900mbs on my cable but on my computer with his LAN cable I will still get 300-ish. I have messed with all the LAN settings, updated drivers, uninstalled them completely and reinstalled them and then got fed up and bought a network card. Now the network card got the speeds I wanted but when first booting the computer the network card won't be recognized. I sometimes have to restart 3 times to get it to find the network card. Starting to wonder if it is the motherboard altogether. Anyone have a similar problem? I am still hoping it is a setting somewhere that is off

Best Answer

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Answer ✓
    Options

Greetings @Reisa

I believe some of those boards had the older i-225V controllers that had some issues on 2.5Gb networks, that could induce lag and effect the speed. Check this page for identification: https://www.intel.com/i225v1

As for resolving it, try limiting your Speed to 1Gb. Device Manager - Network Adapters - Intel i225-V - Properties - Advanced - Speed and Duplex - Change to 1.0Gbps Full Duplex

Press "Ok" and give it a moment to renegotiate the connection and try again.

Answers

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99