New PSU good for system?

Options

I recently got a new Thermaltake Smart 80+ 500W for my PC, since my old PSU was an old Raidmax from an ancient prebuilt that I didn't want to risk failing on me, and because I had a $10 off coupon that was expiring soon. I did not have a lot to spend on a new PSU at the time so I got the cheapest one that seemed good, the aforementioned Thermaltake, and it seems to meet the wattage requirements of my build (my previous PSU was also 500W, and it seemed to work fine). I am starting to wonder though if it was worth more consideration. The "PSU Tier List 4.0" on the LTT forums (can't post links sorry) ranks it at "Tier D • Recommended only for very cheap, iGPU systems". Should I return it and get a better PSU, or is it good enough for my system? Here are my specs:

• CPU - AMD Ryzen 3 3200G
  • Motherboard - ASRock B450M Pro4
  • Ram - Aegis DDR4-3000 16GB (2x8GB)
  • GPU - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER
  • Storage - 250GB NVMe SSD and 250GB HDD

I don't do much gaming or rendering, though I do compile software fairly often.

Best Answer

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Answer ✓
    Options

@YerenRPE

Given the specs, I think it's a good unit for your specifications. I couldn't find information on who the unit was produced by, or what design it was based on, but your requirements with your hardware are very low. Single 12V rail, 35A. I don't think you'll have any problems with this PSU.

Answers

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99