Blank screen/blinking cursor after battery replacement

Hi, I just replaced the external battery on my Toshiba P745-S4320 laptop with a compatible from MicroCenter. Even with the adapter plugged in all I get is a blank screen and blinking cursor. (If I use the old dead battery it's fine with the adapter plugged in). BIOS are latest version. Any idea how to fix this?

Answers

• Shoan041
    Shoan041 ✭✭✭✭
    5 Awesomes 5 Likes 5 Insightfuls First Anniversary

Greetings,

You may have gotten a defective one. I would try to exchange it for another one and see if it still does that.

• I don't think it's the battery, the same thing happened with an ebay purchase of a replacement battery, and I trust MicroCenter's products more. Must be some setting in the laptop that would allow a new battery to be installed.
  • Doesn't sound like an issue with the battery if the computer isn't booting up correctly. Does it bring you to a login screen when you start up or does it just immediately boot to a black screen with a cursor? Also what operating system is installed?

• Black screen with a blinking cursor upper right corner. Windows 10.
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

@Andy332

Tells you it's trying to access storage. Could be hung up on something it thinks is a storage device, or could be a problem with your storage. Disconnect any USB devices you have connected. Especially external drives, but also include devices like printers. USB ports on printers are detected as mass storage devices. If it still does the same thing, I'd create some Windows 10/11 installation media and see if you can boot into it.

• So really easy fix for this, I learned it's very important to compare the current battery specs to the replacement. This one had different specs even though MC says it's compatible with my model. I got a different battery with the same specs as the old one and it worked 11.1V 5200 mAh 58Wh
    Thanks everyone for answering

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99