Boot sequence changes on new pc??

I just received my new PC from Microcenter and every so often, the boot manager doesn't hold the sequence of HDD-NIC 1-NIC 2?? I have to go into bios and reset the sequence...any one else have this issue on Windows 11?? Thanks for any help in advance!

Comments

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

@Dvlourie

Let me confirm what's happening. Your default boot order is HDD - NIC1 - NIC2, correct? What's the issue? That sometimes it skips the drive and tries to PXE boot or is it actually changing the boot order in the BIOS?

• it actually changes (resets) the order from HDD-NIC IPV6-NIC IPV4 to NIC IPV6-NIC IPV4-HDD so the machine will not boot..Just sits at screen with boot error message??

• PowerSpec_MikeW

@Dvlourie

What is the model of your system or motherboard?

• Good Morning... here is a screenshot from this morning when I tried to turn on the PC for the first time.....here is all the information I have....

DELL CTO D901 12900K/32/2+1/30

Serial Number: 000056649

Intel Z690

Dell XPS 8950 Gaming PC Platinum Collection

Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900K 3.2GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8GB GDDR6X; 32GB DDR5-4400 RAM; 2TB SSD+1TB HDD

Hope this information helps....thanks again for all your help....

• PowerSpec_MikeW

@Dvlourie

This should be setup automatically out of the factory and as a BIOS default. You're going into the BIOS with F2 and on the "Boot" tab can you screenshot what you see right now?

• Good morning again...as promised, it shows the correct sequence but tomorrow or the next day, the BIOS will change the order and I will again need to go in and re-sequence the boot order?? The photo i sent earlier will be on the screen after I turn the system on for the first time of the day......I do not understand why the system will not hold the setting....very strange.....thoughts?

• PowerSpec_MikeW

@Dvlourie

I have not seen this happen on this unit. I have one of our test units here that's not exhibiting the behavior. What if you select boot option #2, #3 and disable them?

• That's exactly what I was going to try and do, but wasn't sure the end result? Just leave Windows Boot Manager as the only "active" one....maybe Ill give it a shot tomorrow and/or when it happens again.....not being an expert like you guys, are there any downsides to this theory?

• PowerSpec_MikeW

@Dvlourie

No downside, you'll get a different error message. It's really strange that the boot order actually changes. Could be a bad CMOS battery. At first I thought maybe it was just not picking up the drive coming out of a sleep state. That would make more sense, but you're saying the actual order puts the Windows Boot Manager last, correct?

• Correct.....when it changes the Boot Manager is last...when/if it happens again, I will screenshot it and send it..thanks for all the help..I know we will get this resolved...you guys have been great and it's a great machine....

• Good afternoon....shut the system down a few hours ago and when restarted, same issue? As you can see from above, the boot order changes by itself?? Ran the Dell Diagnostic and all result were fine.

While I am not an expert, I do not believe the tool really does a deep test? I did change the order of the boot and next time I will disable the NIC cards and see what happens.

• PowerSpec_MikeW

@Dvlourie

There are two things I can think of here. One is the CMOS battery is dead out of the factory which is very unusual, but if that's the case I can't see why the pxe boot would be first.

Second is there's something in the OS overriding the efi boot behavior, this is supported with UEFI. I'd like you to run two commands from an elevated command prompt and screenshot what they return.

bcdedit /enum

bcdedit /enum firmware

Please run it twice. Once now. Then when the problem happens again don't fix it. Press F12 for boot menu, manually select your HDD to boot to then run it, so we can see what bcdedit returns when the issue exists.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99