Can this water cooler fit?

Options
George3
George3
Name Dropper First Comment
edited November 2022 in Air and Liquid Cooling

Hi, so I recently bought this pc, "ASUS ROG Strix GA15DK" But because the cooling sucks, I want to replace the cpu cooler with a 120mm water cooler on the top. I looked at this 120mm cpu cooler, "Thermaltake TH120 ARGB"(btw all the items on here can be found on microcenter). But I'm not sure if the cooler can fit on the top of the case(if it can't please tell me where it can fit). I'm also planning on adding 1 or 2 case fans(intake) on the front/top(not where the water cooler goes) , and do I have to add a fan splitter cable, because I don't think the motherboard has enough connecters.

Edit: added photos

Answers

• swsdc
    Options

As for mounting the CPU cooler to the CPU (Ryzen 5 5600x), it does include the AM4 mounting hardware. I cannot however tell from any photos off the internet if you can add fans to the top of the case. Look inside your computer and see if you can spot any fan mounting holes. There may be four evenly spaced holes or possibly a pattern you could use as makeshift screw holes. The only place I know for sure that has support for mounting that AIO is the back where the fan is already located. As for extra fans, I highly recommend Noctua for performance if you can afford them.

Here is a link to a Noctua NF-A12: https://www.microcenter.com/product/617829/noctua-nf-a12x25-pwm-sso2-bearing-120mm-case-fan

This kit includes a Y-Splitter (2 to 1) for fans to run off of the same header.

You can also find Noctua Chromax black from different vendors for an all-black aesthetic (And probably a better price. I found one for $33)

Without pictures of the inside of your case, I cannot guarantee that fans can be mounted anywhere except the back though.

• George3
    George3
    Name Dropper First Comment
    edited November 2022
    Options

I see. I also put pictures of the inside, but they aren't very good.

• swsdc
    Options

@George3 From the pictures you sent, It doesn't look like there is any fan mounting built into that case, however, the holes up there could be used to makeshift a solution if you really wanted to put fans up there. Use some screws that come with the fans, and if necessary a few nuts you can buy at your local hardware store for cheap. Your 8-Pin EPS power connecter (Top left) for your CPU may get in the way of adding a fan near the back but you could always use a smaller fan, like an 80mm.

• George3
    Options

@swsdc may I know where you found the Noctua Chromax Black for $33?

• swsdc
    Options
    It’s cheaper now: 
    Noctua NF-F12 PWM chromax.Black.swap, Premium Quiet Fan, 4-Pin (120mm, Black) https://a.co/d/59EZJcC
  • magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment First Answer
    Options

Honestly the 120mm single fan AIO aren't worth it. Please consider a good tower cooler instead.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99