3070ti, no video

Options
Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING WI-FI
5600X cpu
CORSAIR 850W GOLD PSU

MSI 3070ti Ventus 3x GeForce RTX

Works fine with the current 3060 GPU

Hook up 3070ti, with two 8-pin PCIe power cables. 

No video. 

White Vga light LED on motherboard is lit up, which from what I've read, it means the mobo isn't happy with it. 

This is the second card I got, different manufacturer,  so...

Really feels like I'm not getting enough power to the thing. I think the cables I have are fine, but I haven't dealt with a GPU like this yet. Other than that, could it be something with the mobo?

Comments

• Ian
    Options

Greetings,

You're using the same slot and power cables as the 3060 and it has no issue booting?

• Jaxstas
    Options
    I will say tho that the 3070ti uses two power cables.
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    5 Insightfuls First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Options

@Jaxstas

Power it on with both 6+2's disconnected. You should get a warning on screen about needing to connect those power cables.

• Jaxstas
    Options
    It was the pcie power cables. I had the old ones from the original psu we had. Had gotten a new and bigger psu for this card. Put new power cables in and it came right up. I don't understand why they would be any different.
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    5 Insightfuls First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Options

@Jaxstas

Different manufacturers will pin them differently. It really varies by the OEM. For instance Brand A, might use PSU's built by OEM B for their A model line and OEM C for their B model line. Cables are different. Don't ever mix modular PSU cables unless you're positive the PSU is based on the same design. This is usually pretty difficult to determine.

Now typically with a high quality unit, you're going to short a ground on a 12V and it'll just click and power off. One trick you'll see if with PCIe 6+2's, they'll pin the two grounds to one pin on the PSU side. I'm guessing you ended up in a situation where on the ground pins wasn't grounded at all. Typically with the PCIe connectors if you have no power, you'll get a warning, but if you have partial power, you'll just get no display.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99