How to get out of S mode on my Microsoft Surface Laptop

k928e1027
k928e1027
First Comment
edited July 31 in General Discussion

Hi, My three Grandchildren have Surface Laptops. They started a class today and tried to download ROBLOX and got a message stating "S mode".

It looks like Microsoft Store App is missing or corrupt. Is there a way to "get out of S mode" that works. We have tried several suggestions but to no avail.

Answers

• PaulL
    PaulL admin
    500 Comments 25 Likes 5 Answers 5 Insightfuls

Hello! Thank you for reaching out! I am very sorry to hear about the issues you are having with your system. Have you checked to see if you have any pending Windows updates available? Is the application completely missing from the Apps & features list in your settings?

• Ian
    Ian ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eighth Anniversary 5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes
    edited July 31

Give this a try on the computers as it seems to have helped out other Microsoft users on their forums:

Open up Settings > System > Recovery > Fix problems using Windows Update > Reinstall now (This tool preserves all your apps, documents, and settings. Make sure to keep your PC connected to a power source and the internet during reinstallation.)

Then try the switch again.

• I did as you said but it didn't work.. Our operating system is Windows 11 SE.. I have three Surface Laptops with the same issues that I purchased for my Grandchildren in December 23. We need to download apps for classes they are taking that each unit doesn't allow… The Microsoft Store is missing and doesn't exist in Windows 11 SE per the next paragraph..

I found this on the Microsoft Support site:

Why is there no application store on Windows 11 SE? What apps will work on Windows 11 SE?

The IT Admins at your school manage system settings (including application installation and the application store) to ensure all students have a safe, distraction-free experience. On your device you’ll have pre-installed apps from Microsoft, from your IT admin, and from your device manufacturer. You can continue to use web apps on the Microsoft Edge browser, as web apps do not require installation.

So the question still is:

How can I get out of S Mode in Windows 11 SE?

• PaulL
    PaulL admin
    500 Comments 25 Likes 5 Answers 5 Insightfuls

Currently there are only 2 ways to get out of S mode here. If these step here do not work for you, it may be that your OS is corrupted. You can try running an SFC scan and DISM check to repair these files: https://community.microcenter.com/kb/articles/702-how-to-run-an-sfc-scan-in-windows-11

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99