Building a new pc

Hello everyone, I'm looking to build a new pc. The link below is the parts I picked and I need someone to let me know what needs to be changed thanks. I'm willing to go upto 1500 dollars of necessary however the lower the better. 
Thanks,
https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder.aspx?load=872fa390-f161-4725-b3d6-13070f4529ee

Comments

• I have aleinware 240hz no gsync 
  • Welcome to the forum, Joe! This looks like a very solid setup. I would recommend additional storage as 250GB can be quite small, especially when you have games like Modern Warfare and Red Dead Redemption 2 taking up over 100GB each. I would recommend adding a large HDD for your gaming library at the very least, or go with a larger SSD overall.

Be mindful that your choice in motherboard may require a BIOS update to work with the 3700X. By now, most of our B450 boards should have their latest BIOS updates for the Ryzen 3000 series, but it would be safe to know ahead of time that there is a rare chance that it may require an update. Also keep in mind that the B450 boards do not support PCIe 4.0, so if you require that feature in the future, you may need to upgrade to an X570 board.

Lastly, your 240hz Alienware monitor might support FreeSync. If so, you can follow this guide to enable G-Sync compatible mode to utilize your Variable Refresh tech: https://www.microcenter.com/tech_center/article/10968/how-to-enable-nvidia-g-sync-compatible-mode.
  • Welcome to the forum, Joe! This looks like a very solid setup. I would recommend additional storage as 250GB can be quite small, especially when you have games like Modern Warfare and Red Dead Redemption 2 taking up over 100GB each. I would recommend adding a large HDD for your gaming library at the very least, or go with a larger SSD overall.

Be mindful that your choice in motherboard may require a BIOS update to work with the 3700X. By now, most of our B450 boards should have their latest BIOS updates for the Ryzen 3000 series, but it would be safe to know ahead of time that there is a rare chance that it may require an update. Also keep in mind that the B450 boards do not support PCIe 4.0, so if you require that feature in the future, you may need to upgrade to an X570 board.

Lastly, your 240hz Alienware monitor might support FreeSync. If so, you can follow this guide to enable G-Sync compatible mode to utilize your Variable Refresh tech: https://www.microcenter.com/tech_center/article/10968/how-to-enable-nvidia-g-sync-compatible-mode.
    Hello Michael, so do you recommend me buying the x570 board ? And also will the x570 also require a bios update? Thanks so much for your help.
  • Also can you please link me the motherboard 
    Thanks
  • joe said:
    Welcome to the forum, Joe! This looks like a very solid setup. I would recommend additional storage as 250GB can be quite small, especially when you have games like Modern Warfare and Red Dead Redemption 2 taking up over 100GB each. I would recommend adding a large HDD for your gaming library at the very least, or go with a larger SSD overall.

Hello Michael, so do you recommend me buying the x570 board ? And also will the x570 also require a bios update? Thanks so much for your help.
    X570 boards do not require a BIOS update and will work natively with AMD's Ryzen 3000 series processors. As for a specific board that I would recommend, I am a fan of the Gigabyte Aorus Elite WiFi board: https://www.microcenter.com/product/611269/gigabyte-aorus-elite-wifi-x570-amd-am4-atx-motherboard. This board has a very overkill VRM power delivery that is well cooled and designed with long term durability in mind. It also has a ton of features such as WiFi/Bluetooth, dual PCIe 4.0 M.2 slots (both of which support NVMe RAID), integrated RGB controller and overclocking if you are in to that sort of thing.

It's definitely more expensive than the B450 options, but would definitely last much longer from a feature/design perspective. Keep in mind that if you do want to go with the B450 boards, we offer BIOS update services in-store in the event that you have an issue.
  • joe said:
    Welcome to the forum, Joe! This looks like a very solid setup. I would recommend additional storage as 250GB can be quite small, especially when you have games like Modern Warfare and Red Dead Redemption 2 taking up over 100GB each. I would recommend adding a large HDD for your gaming library at the very least, or go with a larger SSD overall.

X570 boards do not require a BIOS update and will work natively with AMD's Ryzen 3000 series processors. As for a specific board that I would recommend, I am a fan of the Gigabyte Aorus Elite WiFi board: https://www.microcenter.com/product/611269/gigabyte-aorus-elite-wifi-x570-amd-am4-atx-motherboard. This board has a very overkill VRM power delivery that is well cooled and designed with long term durability in mind. It also has a ton of features such as WiFi/Bluetooth, dual PCIe 4.0 M.2 slots (both of which support NVMe RAID), integrated RGB controller and overclocking if you are in to that sort of thing.

It's definitely more expensive than the B450 options, but would definitely last much longer from a feature/design perspective. Keep in mind that if you do want to go with the B450 boards, we offer BIOS update services in-store in the event that you have an issue.
    The x570 is indeed overkill I don't think I will need such a powerful motherboard. what do you think of this board : https://www.microcenter.com/product/510034/asus-b450-f-rog-strix-gaming-amd-am4-atx-motherboard
    How can I check if I need to update the bios?
    You also mentioned that micro center can help me update the bios. How much will that cost
    thanks

• joe said:
    joe said:

The x570 is indeed overkill I don't think I will need such a powerful motherboard. what do you think of this board : https://www.microcenter.com/product/510034/asus-b450-f-rog-strix-gaming-amd-am4-atx-motherboard
    You also mentioned that micro center can help me update the bios. How much will that cost
    thanks

I think the B450 F ROG Strix is perfectly fine for your needs. As for how you can tell, you can look for this sticker on the box:
    Product image
    Almost all of our B450 inventory should have these by now, but I wanted to make sure you knew before you made your purchase in the event that there was an issue with the BIOS.

As for the pricing of BIOS updates, I believe that service starts at $29.99. Either way, if you look for that sticker above, you'll be fine with your board selection. 
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    That board should be a solid B450 option overall, keep in mind that it doesn't have wifi built in so you'll need to purchase an adapter if you don't plan to use ethernet.

Most all 400-series boards at this point should have the 3000-series compatible BIOS installed, these will be designated by a label/sticker on the box stating they're "AMD Ryzen 3000 Desktop Ready." BIOS updates are $29.99 at our service desk if you do need to update the BIOS. 
  • joe said:
    joe said:

thanks

I think the B450 F ROG Strix is perfectly fine for your needs. As for how you can tell, you can look for this sticker on the box:
    Product image
    Almost all of our B450 inventory should have these by now, but I wanted to make sure you knew before you made your purchase in the event that there was an issue with the BIOS.

As for the pricing of BIOS updates, I believe that service starts at $29.99. Either way, if you look for that sticker above, you'll be fine with your board selection. 

TSTonyV said:
    That board should be a solid B450 option overall, keep in mind that it doesn't have wifi built in so you'll need to purchase an adapter if you don't plan to use ethernet.

Most all 400-series boards at this point should have the 3000-series compatible BIOS installed, these will be designated by a label/sticker on the box stating they're "AMD Ryzen 3000 Desktop Ready." BIOS updates are $29.99 at our service desk if you do need to update the BIOS. 

Alright thanks so much for the help I do have a Lan cable that I will be using, I have couple of more questions firstly is this cpu cooler I have good or do I need to change it, also the rtx 2070 overclocked i picked I have seen multiple cards that are also 2070 overclocked but 30 or 40 more dollars expensive are they worth it or should i Just stick to this gpu I already chose and lastly what do you think of the case do you recommend it or should i change it.
    Thanks so much for the help!
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    The Wraith Prism that comes with the 3700x is a very good stock cooler and can even support some light overclocking if that's something you're interested in. I would only replace it if you plan to upgrade your cooling quite a bit if you do plan to push it on overclocking. Otherwise the Prism should work very well. 

The differences between each respective card in a line are very small, typically only a few percent. If it's within your budget there's nothing wrong with having that little bit of extra, but a 2070 Super is still a 2070 Super so that card should perform.

The H510 is fine as a budget friendly case, and it looks pretty sleek. It should work well. It's not as well ventilated as some other cases but you'd probably have to bump your price up a bit if you are looking for cases that have a significant improvement in airflow. 
  • TSTonyV said:
    The Wraith Prism that comes with the 3700x is a very good stock cooler and can even support some light overclocking if that's something you're interested in. I would only replace it if you plan to upgrade your cooling quite a bit if you do plan to push it on overclocking. Otherwise the Prism should work very well. 

The differences between each respective card in a line are very small, typically only a few percent. If it's within your budget there's nothing wrong with having that little bit of extra, but a 2070 Super is still a 2070 Super so that card should perform.

The H510 is fine as a budget friendly case, and it looks pretty sleek. It should work well. It's not as well ventilated as some other cases but you'd probably have to bump your price up a bit if you are looking for cases that have a significant improvement in airflow. 

Yes I'm willing to increase my budget. what case do you recommend and which rtx 2070 super do you also recommend please link them.
    Thanks
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    The Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic is a very popular and highly reviewed case, which a lot of room and features . The Fractal Design Meshify C would be another solid option if you want be a little more budget friendly. Keep in mind that for both those cases and the H510, you'll need to purchase some extra case fans if you want to fill out all the fan slots. The PC-O11 is probably the one I'd personally recommend, I think it incorporates the best of everything: good space, features, airflow capability and I think it looks pretty cool too. You can even get it in white if that strikes your fancy. 

The Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Gaming OC 3X is probably what I'd jump up to for video cards. It has a similar clock speeds as the other overclocked cards but doesn't quite cost as much some like the EVGA 2070 Super FTW3.

Again this is all considering budget. Most of these "improvements" are just nice-to-haves or slight bumps at most, not requirements by any means. If you can save a bit on case/card and put that into a better monitor, for example, that'd probably be a more worthwhile investment. But of course, choose what you like the most!

• TSTonyV said:
    The Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic is a very popular and highly reviewed case, which a lot of room and features . The Fractal Design Meshify C would be another solid option if you want be a little more budget friendly. Keep in mind that for both those cases and the H510, you'll need to purchase some extra case fans if you want to fill out all the fan slots. The PC-O11 is probably the one I'd personally recommend, I think it incorporates the best of everything: good space, features, airflow capability and I think it looks pretty cool too. You can even get it in white if that strikes your fancy. 

The Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Gaming OC 3X is probably what I'd jump up to for video cards. It has a similar clock speeds as the other overclocked cards but doesn't quite cost as much some like the EVGA 2070 Super FTW3.

Again this is all considering budget. Most of these "improvements" are just nice-to-haves or slight bumps at most, not requirements by any means. If you can save a bit on case/card and put that into a better monitor, for example, that'd probably be a more worthwhile investment. But of course, choose what you like the most!

So for the PC-O11 I will not need to buy more fans correct? Also I do have an aleinware 240hz monitor. I'm just going to stick with the one I picked the evga rtx 2070 super overclocked since there is no major difference. Lastly you mentioned that I could use the stock cooler and have no problems correct. I'm also going to buy the asus rog strix b450-f gaming motherboard 
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭

joe said:
    So for the PC-O11 I will not need to buy more fans correct? Also I do have an aleinware 240hz monitor. I'm just going to stick with the one I picked the evga rtx 2070 super overclocked since there is no major difference. Lastly you mentioned that I could use the stock cooler and have no problems correct. I'm also going to buy the asus rog strix b450-f gaming motherboard 
    The PC-O11 does NOT come with extra fans, so you'd have to purchase them separately which will add to your cost. Depending on what kind of fans you get that can start to add up pretty quick. The NZXT H510 also does not come with fans.

The Fractal Design Meshify C has two fans included. 

Yes, you can use the stock Wraith Prism cooler that comes with the 3700x. It's actually a pretty good cooler overall, and can even support some light overclocking on the processor if you wanted to get into that. If you do plan to try and get into serious overclocking you'd probably want an upgrade, but if not the you should have no problems with the stock cooler. 
  • TSTonyV said:

joe said:
    The PC-O11 does NOT come with extra fans, so you'd have to purchase them separately which will add to your cost. Depending on what kind of fans you get that can start to add up pretty quick. The NZXT H510 also does not come with fans.

The Fractal Design Meshify C has two fans included. 

Yes, you can use the stock Wraith Prism cooler that comes with the 3700x. It's actually a pretty good cooler overall, and can even support some light overclocking on the processor if you wanted to get into that. If you do plan to try and get into serious overclocking you'd probably want an upgrade, but if not the you should have no problems with the stock cooler. 

I currently have the NZXT H510 and it came with two fans one in the back and one on top. What is a good case that comes with fans because i dont want to buy extra fans
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    joe said:

I currently have the NZXT H510 and it came with two fans one in the back and one on top. What is a good case that comes with fans because i dont want to buy extra fans
    Hmmm, it looks like I was wrong about that actually, the H510 does include two fans already, one in the back and one on top. Sorry about that! 

There are a lot of cases that come with fans already. The H510 and the Meshify C I mentioned earlier both include two. A couple of other options I'd look at that come with fans included already would be the Maingear Vybe case and the Corsair iCue 220T

If you click this link: 

https://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?Ntk=all&sortby=match&N=4294964318+4294820854+4294821211+4294819794+4294821004&myStore=true 

that will show you a filtered list of the mid-tower cases we carry that included at least two fans. We have a pretty wide selection. 
  • I will go for the h510 and I dont have to add any more fans correct? 
  • TSKevinW said:
    You do not necessarily need to add any additional fans. There is room for two 120mm/140mm fans in the front of the case - this will add additional airflow/cooling for you.

anything i should change my budget can go all the way to 1500 but I don't mind saving.

• TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    That all looks pretty good. Depending on what games or how many games you play you might want to upgrade your storage a little more like Mike mentioned earlier in the thread. Some games these days are absolutely massive and can take up over 100GB of space. 

Other than that I'd say you have a solid setup there.

• TSTonyV said:
    That all looks pretty good. Depending on what games or how many games you play you might want to upgrade your storage a little more like Mike mentioned earlier in the thread. Some games these days are absolutely massive and can take up over 100GB of space. 

I already have 1tb hard drive at home that I will be using. A friend of mine told me that evga gpus are not as good as the asus is this true or not thanks 
  • TSTonyV said:

• joe said:
    TSTonyV said:

I already have 1tb hard drive at home that I will be using. A friend of mine told me that evga gpus are not as good as the asus is this true or not thanks 
    Your friend may just prefer ASUS over EVGA for reasons such as aesthetics or software features. Performance wise, they perform nearly identical. This is because both ASUS and EVGA source their GPU dies directly from Nvidia and adhere to the same design specifications that Nvidia mandates. I personally prefer EVGA due to their very strong warranty policy and great customer service, but at the end of the day, it's best to pick a card that suites your needs both from a performance and aesthetic/features perspective.

The Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super you linked will be just as fast as the others, and would be great for 1440P gaming at high refresh rates. Since you are using a 1080P 240hz panel, it will have absolutely no issue pushing those framerates in competitive titles, and will still push extremely high refresh rates in most AAA titles at that resolution.

I think you'll be very satisfied with any of the RTX 2070 Super options available on the market today. If you have any questions, please let us know!
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99