Apple Power Mac 6500/250 help needed

Options
Lori
Lori
edited February 2020 in Help Choosing Parts
Hello, I am trying to help a family member retrieve files off a dinosaur Apple Power Mac 6500/250.  There are no USB ports and the connection for my personal monitor doesn't fit on the Power Mac.  Is there somewhere I can go to borrow the needed cords for a few minutes to grab the needed files?  They are not comfortable leaving the tower somewhere for a hard drive backup due to the files on it.  Thanks in advance!

Comments

• TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    edited February 2020
    Options
    As old as this mac is, we don't have the right cable/adapter to hook up a newer monitor to it. It uses a DB-15 cable which has been out of use for a very long time now. Most or all retail stores will probably not have those cables anymore either, your best bet would be checking around online or checking if there are any local computer repair shops near you that might have the right ones. 

Alternatively, If you're comfortable with doing something like this, you could pull out the internal drive and use an IDE to USB adapter to connect it to another system to access the files. Something like this:

https://www.microcenter.com/product/463322/vantec-ide-sata-to-usb3-adapter
  • X94wing1
    Options
    I actually just pulled this same computer out of storage and noticed I don’t have the monitor cable either.  I was able to find an adapter online DB-15 to VGA for $12.  I just got it today, plugged it in, and it worked.  Next up is the expandable slots to add a USB card to pull the old files.  When I just started up the computer I did notice that a lot of my files were in old software programs like Claris and AppleWorks.  Thankful I still have those apps on the computer, so I’m first going to save them as RTF files or PDFs, before moving them over.  My photos were all JPGs, so no issue there. 

Your other bet is a SCSI to USB cable.  That’s what I’ll try if the USB card doesn’t work.  I haven’t looked up the prices yet, as I’m hopeful the card will work.  

Hope the above helps.  Good luck!

Blaine
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99