HDMI Cables, possible physical adapters

Recently purchased a portable monitor with USB Type-C and Micro USB ports. Plan is to use as additional display on an HP 250G laptop. Laptop has full size HDMI and VGA ports for display. Connecting any of three USB's on Laptop to USB Type-C on monitor gives power, but no signal, and Windows 10 settings shows no options for multiple displays, except for option to detect a wireless display. Connecting an old VGA monitor to VGA on laptop, Windows 10 settings shows multiple display option. This all led me to dig further to find that laptop from factory is set up with only VGA and HDMI for external display. 1) Can I use a physical adapter to connect Laptop HDMI (or VGA) to Monitor USB Type-C successfully? 2) Am I able to switch a USB on Laptop in settings to output display? 3) Am I missing something with drivers? Thank you!

Comments

• Does anyone know if this adapter is bidirectional?
    SKU:399576
    Mfr Part #:097204
    UPC:618996996162

• TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    Andy said:
    Recently purchased a portable monitor with USB Type-C and Micro USB ports. Plan is to use as additional display on an HP 250G laptop. Laptop has full size HDMI and VGA ports for display. Connecting any of three USB's on Laptop to USB Type-C on monitor gives power, but no signal, and Windows 10 settings shows no options for multiple displays, except for option to detect a wireless display. Connecting an old VGA monitor to VGA on laptop, Windows 10 settings shows multiple display option. This all led me to dig further to find that laptop from factory is set up with only VGA and HDMI for external display. 1) Can I use a physical adapter to connect Laptop HDMI (or VGA) to Monitor USB Type-C successfully? 2) Am I able to switch a USB on Laptop in settings to output display? 3) Am I missing something with drivers? Thank you!
    Depending on the monitor, there may be drivers on the manufacturer's website you'll need to install to use it properly, so I would definitely check that first. You might be able to use an adapter? But normally USB HDMI adapters are designed to go from USB to HDMI, as opposed to from HDMI to USB.

There wouldn't be any special settings to enable to output video over USB, either your laptop supports it or it doesn't (most do). 

NeilC said:
    Does anyone know if this adapter is bidirectional?
    SKU:399576
    Mfr Part #:097204
    UPC:618996996162

That adapter, as far as I can find, is one-directional, from DisplayPort to HDMI only. 
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99