My mic plug

Alejandro
Alejandro
First Comment
edited January 2021 in General Discussion
So recently i got myself a power spec PC. I've noticed my friends have been telling me there is a weird ringing in the background of my mic but when i was on Xbox there was no problem with this, no ringing no nothing it was fine. does anyone know how to fix this and do i need to get it fixed in store 

Comments

• PowerSpec_MichaelB
    PowerSpec_MichaelB ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Answer 5 Insightfuls First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Welcome to the forum Alejandro. To better answer your question, I may need a few more details. Can you provide the model of your PowerSpec PC and the model of the microphone/headset you are using?

Ringing can be caused by a few things. The most common is that the cable may be ever so slightly loose from the audio jack. If you are plugging in via 3.5mm, you may need to give it a firm press to make sure it fully clicks into place. If you are using a USB headset, it shouldn't take much force at all to get it in, but may require some software tweaks as USB headsets are considered a digital audio source. In this scenario, it's best to make sure you've downloaded any drivers/software that comes with your headset and make sure they are up to date/configured properly. Ringing can also be caused by interference, whether that's nearby audio devices or wireless devices (if using a wireless mic/headset) as well as EMI (electromagnetic interference) from the motherboards audio isolation malfunctioning on the board, however these can be extremely tricky to diagnose. Let's start with the basics.

First, let's look inside your Microphone Properties. Make sure your mic boost is set at a reasonable level, not too high that others can hear distortion, and not too low which may prevent others from hearing you. I personally use a pair of Sennheiser Game One's, and they sound best to my friends when my mic is at 100% volume and 20dB boost. 
    How to Boost Microphone Volume on PC or Mac 14 Steps
    (Image credit to WikiHow)
    You can use the Listen tab to listen to your own mic to better judge what it sounds like, and to see if you can hear what your friends are describing. Next, you can go to the Advanced tab and tweak the sample rates for improved quality. There was a bug in Windows 10 that caused some audio input devices to default down to 16000hz (Tape Recorder Quality). It's important to check with the manufacturer of your mic to determine the best sampling rate. Mine for example, works best at 48000hz. This can prevent your mic from sounding like you are speaking into a tin can full of rocks.

Lastly, if none of the above settings work, you can try a different pair of headphones/different mic to see if the issue persists. If it does, we can explore some software troubleshooting options (audio driver updates, system restore, OS re-installation, etc) or diagnose the system in-store to help determine the root cause. If you have any questions or would like to troubleshoot further, feel free to let us know!
  • well i have a power spec G356 and my mic is a Nasum Condenser Microphone and my headset is corsair... ive also seen with my headset port in my pc doesnt work ive been using the headset plug into my computer for my headset and my mic plug in my pc for my mic. I also tried to use another mic and it did the same sound so i think its the port. Lastly how do i check my db and things im on w10 
  • PowerSpec_MichaelB
    PowerSpec_MichaelB ✭✭✭✭✭
    My apologies for the late response Alejandro. Type the following command in your Windows 10 search bar: "control.exe /name Microsoft.Sound". Make sure to remove the quotations. This will open your Sound Control Panel. Next, click the Recording tab, then double click your microphone. From there, select the Levels tab, and adjust the settings to your liking. Make sure you use the Listen tab and check the "Listen to this device" box so you can hear yourself through your headset. 

Since the issue is persisting on multiple microphones, it would appear that it's something with the PC that is at fault. If the above options failed to resolve the issue, let's move on with updating the audio driver. Here is a link to your PowerSpec G356 drivers: 
    http://powerspec.com/support/support_archive.phtml?selection=G356. Make sure you select the download for the Realtek Audio Driver. You can also use the audio driver directly from the motherboard manufacturer: https://download.asrock.com/Drivers/All/Audio/Realtek_Audio(v8668_UAD_WHQL_RTK).zip. Give that a try and see if it resolves the issue. Afterwards, we can determine where to proceed from here.
  • I tried both and theres still the ring, what next?
  • PowerSpec_MichaelB
    PowerSpec_MichaelB ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since you've ruled out the physical headsets/mics themselves as well as the audio drivers, we only have a couple more options left on the table. We can try to factory reset the OS/reinstall Windows 10 (which will result in data loss if you do not back your data up), or you can drop the system off at your local Micro Center store for diagnostics & repair. For information on how to reset/reinstall Windows 10, please visit this article: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4000735/windows-10-reinstall

To have the system serviced, you can bring it in at any time to your local Micro Center store. Keep in mind that all PowerSpec systems come with a 1 year warranty, so if you are not comfortable with bringing it in during this pandemic, our team can look at it any time during that period. We are also happy to answer any questions you may have online. If it helps, you can also look towards using a temporary solution such as a USB audio adapter: https://www.microcenter.com/product/349381/vantec-usb-external-71-channel-audio-adapterhttps://www.microcenter.com/product/364947/sabrent-3d-audio-sound-card-usb-adapter, or https://www.microcenter.com/product/340583/qvs-usb-audio3-usb-to-21-stereo-audio-adaptor. These do not rely on the motherboards integrated sound card and use their own audio drivers, which should bypass any audio issues the system is currently experiencing. There are other options as well, such as internal PCIe sound cards or external DAC's, however they can be quite expensive. If you have any questions in the meantime, please let us know!
  • I also have this problem with my g706
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    BradyHake said:
    I also have this problem with my g706
    Did you already try working through the solutions Mike mentioned in his previous posts? Even if your model is different the same steps should work 
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99