How to Locate and Activate Refurbished Windows 10 Product Keys

Options
This discussion has a more recent version.
Ian
Ian admin
First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls 5 Likes 5 LOLs
edited June 2021 in Software
If you have a Windows 10 refurbished PC purchase and it is asking to be activated after you get into Windows, it can be easily activated by using the product code located on the PC itself.

Here is how to locate and activate the product key:

1.   First, locate the Windows 10 product key sticker on the computer. On a laptop, this would typically be on the bottom, or perhaps even under the battery if it is removable. For a desktop, it would be on one of the sides of the case or on the top. You will find a multi-colored sticker that may say 'Windows 10' or 'Windows 10 for Refurbs'. Some of the key will be covered for security reasons. The full key will need to be revealed. On this sticker, gently scratch off the grey/silver Microsoft portion with a coin to reveal the full product key.

2. To activate this key on your Windows 10 system, right click on the Start button, typically found at the lower left corner of the screen, and from the list of options, choose Settings.

From the Windows Settings page, from the list of categories, click on the Update & Security option. 

Select Activation on the menu on the left side of Settings.

Click on Change Product Key on the Activation window.

On the Enter a Product Key window, type in the key from the product key sticker. Entering dashes will be done automatically so do not include those after each set of letters and numbers. You should have a total of 25 characters. If you have less than that, double check that you scratched off all the silver material.

7.  Click Next to complete activation and you're all set!

Comments

• JCB
    Options
    Followed every step given above to activate my Windows 10 Pro, with the product key found under the the scraped off patch on the sticker attached to my refurbish desktop and it failed to do so, as if the the product key was not correct.  The request for activation was recent.  Did an update cause this need to activate and change the product key?  What should I do?
  • Ian
    Ian admin
    First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls 5 Likes 5 LOLs
    Options
    JCB said:
    Followed every step given above to activate my Windows 10 Pro, with the product key found under the the scraped off patch on the sticker attached to my refurbish desktop and it failed to do so, as if the the product key was not correct.  The request for activation was recent.  Did an update cause this need to activate and change the product key?  What should I do?
    We can look into this with you in tech support. We do not want to put your Windows key information on a public forum, so if you could please email us your information at https://www.mctsol.com/newtechsupport_form.php or start a chat with us, we would be able to further assist you - https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/tech-support.aspx You can also open a text request with us by texting 614-850-3670. Thank you! 
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99