computer wont post so changed motherboard and CPU and now turns on for 30s and then off and on.

sparkie22
sparkie22 ✭✭
First Comment Name Dropper
edited May 2020 in General Discussion
I built computer with specs below. I turned on the power and nothing happens execept power to fans etc. 

550 Watt 80 Plus Bronze ATX Non-Modular Power Supply
1 of (SKU) 402396 
512GB SSD 3D NAND M.2 2280 PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive
1 of (SKU) 860304 
Windows 10 Home 64-bit OEM DVD - English
1 of (SKU) 805424 
Ripjaws V 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 PC4-25600 CL16 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit F4-3200C16D-16GVKB - Black
1 of (SKU) 348201 
H510 Tempered Glass ATX Mid-Tower Computer Case - Black
1 of (SKU) 937268 
Ryzen 3 3200G Picasso 3.6GHz Quad-Core AM4 Boxed Processor with Wraith Stealth Cooler
1 of (SKU) 951897 
B450-Plus Prime AMD AM4 ATX Motherboard
1 of (SKU) 802512 

So I returned the motherboard and CPU and replaced with the following: 

Ryzen 3 3200G Picasso 3.6GHz Quad-Core AM4 Boxed Processor with Wraith Stealth Cooler
1 of (SKU) 951897 

B450M Pro4 AMD AM4 mATX Motherboard
1 of (SKU) 802579 

I turn it on and it runs for 30s before turning on and going back on again. I have tried taking out the ram and going to single stick of ram and also moved the m2 SSD to the other slot. 

Comments

• TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    Hello @sparkie22! Welcome to the Community. I closed your other post in PC Builds since you posted this thread here and Troubleshooting is a little more appropriate for your questions. 

Did your motherboard box have a label stating it was Ryzen 3000 desktop ready? If not, you may need to update the BIOS on your motherboard. If so, we actually have a guide here that will run you through the troubleshooting steps for a new build that doesn't want to boot:

https://www.microcenter.com/tech_center/article/5715/how-to-troubleshoot-a-new-build-that-will-not-post

I'd run through that and see if you can get it working. 
  • Thanks @TSTonyV !Good question! I did go through that guide but didnt think about your suggestion. I might have to just bring it in and have it looked at. 

• TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Yeah, if you tried everything in the guide I'd say either something's been assembled incorrectly, or there's some type of compatibility/hardware issue. 

If the motherboard box doesn't have that Ryzen 3000 ready label, I'm pretty confident you'd just need a BIOS update. 
  • @TSTonyV. I went to ASUS website and looks like it has been validated since the 1201 version which was back in 2017
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hm, I guess the 3200G is really just an updated 2200G, so that makes sense. 

It's hard to say exactly what the cause is then. If you have other components you could swap out that's what I'd do, otherwise i would either exchange parts or let our service desk take a look. Just keep in mind if you want the service desk to look at it they will charge for labor. 
  • @TSTonyV Undertand. I will swing by tomorrow and decide what my best option is. Thanks for the help!
  • @TSTonyV. If I exchange parts it probably would be the motherboard and or the CPU. Can I return items like that if they were already installed?
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can return parts even they've been opened, but if you can we'd like you to put them back in the original packaging. 
  • sparkie22
    sparkie22 ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    @TSTonyV So I returned the motherboard and CPU and replaced with the following: 

1 of (SKU) 951897 

B450M Pro4 AMD AM4 mATX Motherboard
    1 of (SKU) 802579 

I turn it on and it runs for 30s before turning on and going back on again. I have tried taking out the ram and going to single stick of ram and also moved the m2 SSD to the other slot. 

Any other suggestions? Also I put in a new power supply which is the same one that worked on the first computer i built. This is the 2nd computer I built. First one was with a ASUS Z390-A board and intel processor and all the other same components. That one worked right away. 

• TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think we might be a looking at a potential BIOS issue for that ASrock board. Does the box say it's Ryzen 3000 desktop ready? The 3200G requires at least BIOS version P3.30 to be installed, but if that label is on the box it should be installed already. 
  • sparkie22
    sparkie22 ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    @TSTonyV    It does say that. I tried to make sure it was this time and also when i selected a CPU I went to accessories this time and this board was an option so figured they would work. 

Below is the box. I also talked to someone in line and they said go to pcpartspicker.com and select stuff there. They did give this warning.

I also found this link:
    https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100

I sent a request to AMD and see what they say.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    We'll need some more information to see what the board is doing with no debug LED's. Do you peripherals power up? Also, disconnect the case fans for now. Listen to the CPU fan. Does it spin up and then slow down, or does it stay at a constant speed during that 30 second window?
  • @TSMikeW Good question. So the ASUS board i had in previously LEDs lit up and so did the LAN port LED. I cant remember if the mouse did. I did what you instructed above to ASRock board and I am not getting any LED at the LAN and i plugged in mouse and nothing there. I unplugged the fans. The processor fan seems to say consistent and doesn't ramp up or down. You thinking it is the motherboard?
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    It's possible. When a system POST's a few things happen in a specific order. CPU initialization is first. At this port the board is initialized and usually the first indication is the thermal fan control. So you'll hear the fan RPM's drop. It's a good way to tell what's going on when you don't have debug LED's or a case speaker. Second is DRAM, and if you pass that stage you go into GPU and initialization of USB/SATA devices, which is where your peripherals would power. So based on what you're getting we look at the motherboard and CPU. You don't have any expansion cards to rule out and it's more likely the CPU being faulty. You have CPU 8 pin connected. I'd say your motherboard is the most likely part at this point. Swapping it out would be my first step.
  • @TSMikeW Thanks for the detailed information. I am going to try and pick up an new motherboard tomorrow. 
  • @TSMikeW I replaced the motherboard and the CPU...the same two components before and it is doing the same thing.
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    So it's extremely unlikely to get two bad parts in a row. Not impossible, but very, very rare. It's most likely something else causing the issue at this point. 

Do you have another set of RAM you can try, or another PSU? Those are the next two things I'd swap at this point. 
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    All we can really say at this point is that the board can't initialize your CPU. The 30 second turn off seems more like a timeout due to lack of input. Which indicates it starts to initialize it then fails with an error code, it's not just stuck on a 00 as an example. We don't have a debug LED to tell us more. I'd try it out of the chassis on a piece of cardboard, The box for the motherboard would work just fine. Don't use the anti-static bag, it's conductive.
  • @TSTonyV @TSMikeW I understand all you can do at this point is go by what I am telling you. I haven't swapped RAM out yet. I had a different PSU when this all started. I switched to a different PSU right before i had this run/stop issue. It is the same brand PSU I used on my first build. That one worked right away. I did have a different mobo and an intel processor. I will try and start it up outside the case and might try and get some different RAM otherwise I dont know what to do. Thanks for all the help!
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    If all else fails, you have the option of letting the service desk at your local store taking a look at it, though there would be diagnostics/labor charges for that. Let us know if you have any other questions!
  • @TSTonyV Thanks! I might have to do that at this point. 
  • @TSTonyV @TSMikeW I replaced the RAM to see if that would work nothing changed...I bought another PSU might try that. Havent tried the board outside the chassis yet. I will try both those otherwise i will just have to bring in. Dont know what else to do at this point haha.
  • sparkie22
    sparkie22 ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    @TSTonyV @TSMikeW Update as it is working now I changed out the ram but one of the sticks must be bad...well i hope that is it instead of the motherboard slot. it wasnt working when i placed one stick in but when i put two in it worked. I just tried reinserting the one but computer still is only reading one. I went with crucial ram this time. Do you think the motherboard slot could be damaged? I will take back the memory when i have a chance. I just installed windows and doing the updates for that.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    It's possible. Make sure your cooler isn't over tightened. We've seen that happen and bow a board, with the result of knocking out a channel. Way to test it use the stick on the far right, that's what's being detected. Boot with the known working stick in each slot.
  • @TSMikeW nevermind i played around with inserting the memory and it recognizes it now. Thanks for all the help. Windows is loaded and running
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    Good to hear. Check your frequency, make sure it's running at the rated frequency and timings. If not, load your XMP  in the BIOS. Let us know you have any other questions.
  • ok I have the XMP on auto. So I will look into it. Sounds like i need to modify something. Thanks @TSMikeW
  • i read on it and looks like i will need to change it to profile one. I had it on auto because it said next to it that would go to the frequency optimization. But i will look into it some more. Thanks.
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99