Opinions Please on new build selection

My sons are building a gaming pc based off of YouTube.  Trying to keep it under $800.  I want to make sure he'll have something that will last for gaming and basic schoolwork for the next 5-6 years (at least).  https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder.aspx?load=2c2c6fae-f7c1-4c68-8760-60212a360be5 

Comments

• Hello @LNF!  Welcome to the Micro Center Community!

Your build looks great, however it is missing the Windows 10 License key.  With that added on, you are looking close to that $800 budget.  You can also consider switching away from RGB RAM and save a bit there, though I understand that a touch of RGB is always nice to a gaming PC build.  

The only thing to double check on is that the motherboard does not have WiFi.  Do you plan on using an ethernet cable or getting a wifi adapter?  
  • Thank you for your input!  Per your suggestion we just switched out the motherboard for Gigabyte - B450I Aorus Pro Wifi AMD AM4 mini-ITX Motherboard  Thank you so much for pointing that out.  Regarding Window, my son says we can do a free download onto a flash drive from our other computer and then install it? Also, do you have a ram suggestion?  It doesn't have to have the "cool" light up feature.
  • Right, you can install Windows for free, however, it will not be activated.  A non-activated Windows will have a watermark on the bottom right of your screen saying that your Windows is not activated, as well as not having to certain features like Customization/Personalization.  We do recommend activating your Windows Licenses as this can change whenever Microsoft decides to be more aggressive with non-activated Windows.    

For RAM, it does depend on the store you are shopping at, but here is G. Skill RipJaws 16GB with the same specs as the ones you had in earlier.  
  • LNF said:
    Thank you for your input!  Per your suggestion we just switched out the motherboard for Gigabyte - B450I Aorus Pro Wifi AMD AM4 mini-ITX Motherboard  Thank you so much for pointing that out.  Regarding Window, my son says we can do a free download onto a flash drive from our other computer and then install it? Also, do you have a ram suggestion?  It doesn't have to have the "cool" light up feature.
    You can create Windows 10 installation media for free but the licensing still costs money (Around $120 - $200 depending on which rendition of Windows 10 you purchase).  I'd suggest any sort of G.Skill RAM but the HyperX selection you have is solid as well.
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99