New GPU, now fullscreen doesn't work

Options
--Current Build--
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x
AIO: Cooler Master ML240L 240mm
MB: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro Wifi
RAM: Ballistix DDR4-3200 CL16 (2x8gb)
GPU: Sapphire 5600 XT (Brand New. Swapped with RX 580 8gb)
PSU: PowerSpec 550 Watt 80 plus bronze

So, I just swapped out my RX 580 for the 5600 XT today (purchased 5/1/20) and I'm now noticing issues with running any game in "Fullscreen" mode. The best way I can describe it is upon opening games, the screen is covered in a transparent grey screen. It's exactly the type of screen you get when performing an Alt+Tab in game, but instead it's like that all the time. The only way I can get this to go away is if I change the in-game video settings to "Windowed Fullscreen". As a result though, I lose the ability to change things like the resolution, refresh rate, and HDR settings.

Just looking for some answers so I can make any changes before the weekend ends. Thank you!

Comments

• TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    Options
    Hello @Zach! Welcome to the Community. 

The very first thing I would do is run the AMD Cleanup Utility to do a clean uninstall of your old video drivers, then redownload and install the drivers for your new card. Even though you stuck with an AMD card, the old drivers could potentially be interfering and causing issues with the new GPU. Try this first, and if that doesn't fix it we can explore other options. 
  • Zach
    Zach
    Name Dropper First Comment
    edited May 2020
    Options
    @TSTonyV So I ran the Cleanup Utility in Safe mode, wiped the drivers, checked windows updates, then reinstalled the 5600 XT drivers. Sadly, I am still facing the same issue.

***UPDATE*** Out of curiosity I remembered reading about issues with "black and grey screens" online, and while I didn't read them in depth, I saw a lot of things about HDR inside the windows settings. So, out of curiosity, I turned off "Run games in HDR" in the display settings and the issue is gone. I can now run full screen in games. Now the bigger questions is, why is that? Why would my RX 580 not have issues with the Windows HDR settings, but the 5600 XT does?
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    Options
    Honestly, there's not a good answer. HDR is just one of those things that can sometimes behave weirdly in Windows. 

It's also possible that that setting was turned off with your RX580, but for some reason it's enabled by default for the 5600XT
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99