Tried to assemble my PC and motherboard is saying CPU problem

This discussion was created from comments split from: Returns.

Comments

• Hello, I bought a Ryzen 5 2600x from the St. David’s PA store, I tried to assemble my PC and on my motherboard it’s saying their is a CPU problem. Their is no damage done to the CPU, and I was sold a dead part. Can I return this for a full refund? I’m very unsatisfied and I cant even get my PC to work because of this problem.
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    Hello @Isaiah_H! I split your comment off into its own post. 

To answer your first question, yes, you can return the CPU provided you're within the 15-day return period. However, before you do that I'd like to make sure we cover our bases for troubleshooting, which is why I split your comment off. Can you give me some more detail on everything? What motherboard are you using, what troubleshooting steps have you tried on your own? 
  • HEY! Thank you for responding :)
  • I’m using a msi b450m pro-vdh max, and I’ve tried literally replugging every cord in, and reinstalling the cpu and the stock cooler the 2600x comes with, replugging in my psu. Everything! None of my fans are moving or anything.
  • Also, the only thing that turns on when I flip my PSU switch and press my power button my case is the GPU light for my 1660 super, and the RGB on my GPU flashes for a quick second than instantly turns off, and then the motherboard saying there’s a CPU debug light.
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for providing that information. There wouldn't be a compatibility issue with a 2600x and a B450 board. While it is popping a CPU error light, it's possible it's something else, but hard to say for sure. We have a guide that will walk you through all the general troubleshooting you can do for a custom built PC that doesn't want to power on, I'd read through it and make sure you cover all your bases:

https://community.microcenter.com/discussion/2818/tech-article-how-to-troubleshoot-a-newly-built-pc-that-will-not-post-boot-power-on#latest

If you can make it through that and it's still not booting, either something is assemble incorrectly or it's some hardware related issue, in which case I'd recommend doing an exchange. I'd personally do both the board and CPU just to be safe and limit how many trips you need to make. 
  • Wait I had another question
  • Is it possible if I brought it to the store, they could do a test for free? I’ve done nothing to harm the product at all, and I just would like to see if there is any other problems.
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    We can do testing and diagnostics at the store, however that would normally have labor charges associated with it. Any waiving of that fee would be at the discretion of the service desk. 
  • Also, is the 24 pin cable supposed to have a missing hole thing in it? 
  • Never mind I looked it up and it is supposed to be missing. I also wanted to add none of my fans turn on or anything as well. I mean seriously the only thing I can see when turning my psu on and pressing my cases power button is my gpu light, and the rgb on it flashes for a lightning speed second, and then the cpu light flashes on my motherboard.
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fans not turning on sounds normal, if the board detects a POST error it won't power on properly. I think your best bet is probably swapping the CPU/motherboard. 
  • Okay, I think i’ll be coming in tomorrow to the St. David’s PA location, how much is a diagnostics test etc?
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    So we can do something called a motherboard POST test for $24.99, where we could verify a single component. If you bring the whole system in and want us to do a full teardown and diagnostic, service would charge a custom-build fee which starts at $149.99
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99