Putting together a build for my kid. Please advise.

I read that great guide here about choosing parts and put this build together, but it might be more than I need. Any advise would be much appreciated. Looking to play CS GO, GTA V on Steam. Thanks.
https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder.aspx?load=e1855d51-3fc1-408c-96df-71e4440917fa

Comments

• Waffler
    Waffler ✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment Name Dropper
    edited May 2020
    Not a bad build, but probably overkill in some areas. For one, 16gb of RAM is plenty. 32gb is only really useful for extremely high end graphics in games like the upcoming Flight Simulator 2020, and even then it’s probably more than what is needed depending on the display setup. 

The Ryzen 5 3600 provides plenty of power for great value, unless you think your kid will be playing more high-end AAA games. 

750 watts for PSU is also likely more than you need. 650 is fine and still more than you need. 

For the games you described, the build you made is like a Ferrari for a go-kart race. It’s fine, but why spend so much on what isn’t really necessary?

One more thing: you selected a DVD for the operating system while the rig you listed doesn’t have an optical drive. Unless you have an external one on hand, but I highly recommend a USB boot. 
  • Wow, thank you so much for that useful info! Really appreciated. 
  • @amateur_builder An idea is if you wanted to fully future proof this build for this generation drop the ram and slightly lower PSU as suggested by @Waffler and take advantage of the few extra dollars and get the newer EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER XC GAMING Overclocked Dual-Fan 8GB GDDR6 PCIe 3.0 Graphics Card. its a bit more expensive but then you can give the kid a little RGB without breaking too far out of your budget. Just thinking of something that might add to the cool-ness. Alos that suggested graphic

Also the base boost clock is a bit faster with an updated overclocking GPU design and the RGB on the newer GPU is pretty subtle but gives just enough to give the true gamer feel. 

(The EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER XC GAMING Overclocked Dual-Fan 8GB GDDR6 PCIe 3.0 Graphics Card is at a slightly higher base clock speed 1695MHz and has RGB compared this does though take 50 more wats for the RGB and higher boost clock > to the EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 KO Ultra Overclocked Dual-Fan 6GB GDDR6 PCIe 3.0 Graphics Card at 1680 mhz and doesn't have RGB. )

The GPU I'm suggesting would also allow for if your kid will also have the option to full on upgrade their monitor in the future to a 2k or 4k. And still have room to OC the GPU if they wanted. 
  • Great suggestions everyone, @amateur_builder, I can only agree with what has been said. Lowering the the memory to 16gb and increasing the video card are going to provide the best experience for gaming, and with a higher end video card you can certainly look at some good quality monitors. If you do decide to change the video card, double check the power recommendations, and go about 50-100 watts over it to allow other components to remain feasible. In this case if you dont change the video card, its recommendation is 500, so doing a 600 or even 650 would be better as @Waffler mentioned.
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99