2060 KO PPD? update: seeing ~1.1MilPPD

cine_chris
cine_chris ✭✭✭✭
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Likes Photogenic
edited May 2020 in Graphics Cards
Hoping to find someone that has run FAHbench &/or has actual data on the EVGA 2060 KO GPUs.  They look to be interesting based on $/PPD basis. 

Comments

• TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    edited May 2020
    Hello @cine_chris! Welcome to the Community. 

Gamers Nexus is my go-to when it comes to benchmarking data and technical overview of components. They have a review on the EVGA 2060 KO specifically here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUFRBnJdx3Y

It's a pretty thorough breakdown and highlights how the 2060 KO is different from other 2060 cards. In terms of gaming, the 2060 KO is the same as normal RTX 2060 cards but the 2060 KO is different in that it has advantages in workstation applications.

This is their original review of the 2060 and covers more benchmarks in games: https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3427-nvidia-rtx-2060-founders-edition-review-benchmark-vs-vega-56. They also have a video you can watch covering that information, it's embedded on that page. For gaming performance I'd refer to this guide. 

I didn't see FAHbench listed in either guide, but the 2060 KO is a strong option at its price point. It's definitely a much stronger value than the other 2060 models since it undercuts their prices by a decent margin. 
  • cine_chris
    cine_chris ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Thx @TSTonyV, yes, that was an informative video.  I'm not a gamer, but cine-editing, vfx work & F@H have shoved me into the GPU universe.  I'm a retired engineer so it's fun for me to look at repurposing old gear for folding platforms and looking at optimizing gear combos for folding.  Part of my repurpose strategy is to use 'open-box' MC gear, I'll be picking up the KO Ultra tomorrow  :)
  • PowerSpec_MichaelB
    PowerSpec_MichaelB ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Answer 5 Insightfuls First Comment 5 Awesomes
    edited May 2020
    Thx @TSTonyV, yes, that was an informative video.  I'm not a gamer, but cine-editing, vfx work & F@H have shoved me into the GPU universe.  I'm a retired engineer so it's fun for me to look at repurposing old gear for folding platforms and looking at optimizing gear combos for folding.  Part of my repurpose strategy is to us 'open-box' MC gear, I'll be picking up the KO Ultra tomorrow  :)
    Based on some of the results I found online, it appears that the RTX 2060 KO is beating 1080 Ti's when it comes to PPD. Since it technically uses the same TU104 die as the RTX 2080's, it's folding performance is extremely solid for the price, however there is a caveat you must be really aware of. While the die itself is a cutdown RTX 2080, the PCB and cooler is the same used for the GTX 1650 Super GTX 1660 Super. For typical gaming loads, this is fine, but sustained folding might not end well in the long run.

If you do go this route, make sure that you have active cooling on the card with an additional fan of some kind, cooling both the PCB on the back and perhaps provide additional intake airflow for the two fans on the side.

Edited to correct GPU PCB mistake.
  • cine_chris
    cine_chris ✭✭✭✭
    @TSMichaelB I'm a retired engineer &Ace'd thermo, so I have a keen sensitivity to op-temps & thermo-cycling (an arcane fatigue concept).  I'm using Afterburner w/ a custom fan profile to minimize temp-cycles and op-temps.  Mounting exo-120mm fans to feed in room air.  Yes, the KO is running consistently in the 1.1MilPPD range when I've checked it.  More importantly, it handles the WUs that the 1660s have been choking on.  For me, the MSI 2060 Super has been the best performer.  You can see I'm very utilitarian by the Z87 mobo in the image  :D
  • cine_chris
    cine_chris ✭✭✭✭
    . While the die itself is a cutdown RTX 2080, the PCB and cooler is the same used for the GTX 1650 Super GTX 1660 Super. For typical gaming loads, this is fine, but sustained folding might not end well in the long run.

If you do go this route, make sure that you have active cooling on the card with an additional fan of some kind, cooling both the PCB on the back and perhaps provide additional intake airflow for the two fans on the side.
    @TSMichaelB I found your comments about the KO card to be useful.  Combining my impressions with power consumption data from Tom's Hdwr, it's clear to me that the KO isn't an optimal choice for folding.  It is the most consistently good GPU that I've tried for folding as it always seems to be hovering around 1.1 milPPD and likely an ideal choice for a mixed gamer/creative user that wants to leverage it's render features.  
  • PowerSpec_MichaelB
    PowerSpec_MichaelB ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Answer 5 Insightfuls First Comment 5 Awesomes
    . While the die itself is a cutdown RTX 2080, the PCB and cooler is the same used for the GTX 1650 Super GTX 1660 Super. For typical gaming loads, this is fine, but sustained folding might not end well in the long run.

@TSMichaelB I found your comments about the KO card to be useful.  Combining my impressions with power consumption data from Tom's Hdwr, it's clear to me that the KO isn't an optimal choice for folding.  It is the most consistently good GPU that I've tried for folding as it always seems to be hovering around 1.1 milPPD and likely an ideal choice for a mixed gamer/creative user that wants to leverage it's render features.  
    Glad it was helpful. My biggest concerns was with the cooling and PCB design being different than that of standards RTX 2060's. For burst gaming loads I imagine it's a non-issue, but under the constant load of folding, I worry for the longevity of the card. 
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99