First AMD build has issues

NYCHitman1
NYCHitman1 ✭✭
First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Comment
edited May 2020 in General Discussion
Good morning all,
I've recently built my first AMD build and I'm having some issues with random shutdowns of my system.
My specs are:
  • CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master
  • Cooler: Corsair H100i RGB Platinum SE
  • GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super OC3 Gaming
  • NVMe: 2TB Corsair MP600
  • NVMe: 1TB Sabrent Rocket 4.0
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (2 x 16) 3200MHz
  • PSU: Corsair RM750x
After crashing, I go back into the Windows Event Viewer and see that critical errors posted in the log pointing to Kernel-Power 41 (63). When I research this issue, it indicates it could be one of many things. I've checked my connections, temps, RAM/CPU/GPU seating, etc.. but no solution in sight.

Has anyone had an issue like this? If so, how did you resolve it?

Comments

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    It sounds like the system is shutting down, not restarting. Please clarify this for us. You'll see the Kernel-Power critical error with any unexpected shutdown or power loss. Two things will cause a PC to turn itself off. Heat and power.  You said your temps are good. This includes the VRM on the board, PSU, power cable and outlet. Now if it was the outlet/cable, it would be an intermittent interruption. You'd probably have restarts or at least restarts interspersed with shutdowns.

So lets go back to the board/PSU. Systems getting a warning with the voltage being out of range, this triggers an emergency shutdown. Can't say whether the cause is the PSU or the VRM on the board. Swap out the outlet and power cord to be safe. Beyond that, you need to swap another PSU in. If the issue persists, swap the board. It'll be one or the other.
  • @TSMikeW
    Hi Mike. Appreciate the reply!
    I swapped out my PSU for a newer one yesterday and I'm waiting on new RAM this coming weekend. Once I have the latter, I should be able to do more thorough testing with what you mentioned.
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    edited May 2020
    Great. Faulty or unstable RAM would cause BSOD's, possibly freezes. If you're replacing it with something better may as well get DDR4-3600. Matches the default infinity fabric clock. Let us know what happens.
  • NYCHitman1
    NYCHitman1 ✭✭
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Comment
    edited May 2020
    TSMikeW said:
    Great. Faulty or unstable RAM would cause BSOD's, possibly freezes. If you're replacing it with something better may as well get DDR4-3600. Matches the default infinity fabric clock. Let us know what happens.
    Yep. That's exactly what I ended up doing. Got the Trident Z Neo CL16 kit coming.
    Question though: Would I be able to exchange my mobo (if I need to) at my local MicroCenter store even though it's a little past 15 days?
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    So long as you have the box and accessories we can give you 30 days on the return. Text us at 614-850-3670 with your reference number and refer to the forums. We'll get the extension approved for you.
  • @TSMikeW Thanks again Mike. I've contacted via text as recommended.
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    Great. If you have any other questions or issues with that let us know.
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99