Neither my physical keyboard nor my virtual keyboard work on a desktop

Options
William969
edited April 2022 in General Discussion

Neither my physical keyboard nor my virtual keyboard work (alphabet only) on a desktop just purchased for my gym. When setting up, the physical worked to input my passwords, but upon restarting the first time, no keyboard action. Tried many online fixes, changing ports, Control Alt 0, holding the esc key or repeatedly pressing when booting, etc. Number keys work on physical and virtual. The physical keyboard will work when I have to type in A1B2C3 and that's the extent. Also changed out keyboards to no avail.

Answers

• Ian
    Ian admin
    First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls 5 Likes 5 LOLs
    Options

Greetings. Are any USB devices being picked up on your PC? Have you tested each available USB port?

• William969
    Options

that was my first effort. Even the OSK Keyboard is equally incapacitated. I brought up that keyboard planning on going into the control panel and updating the drivers. Unfortunately, not even the Windows button works on that. Only numbers on either keyboard.

• Ian
    Ian admin
    Options

What brand and model of PC is this occuring on? Was it just purchased from our store?

• William969
    Options

It's a dell that came from Discount Computers in Texas. My primary is from them as well and I assisted 6 other people purchasing there. . .though I'm not a computer pro, gamer, etc., I have some knowledge. For me a computer is a tool more than anything. I've had and will again have an online store selling collectibles. Those whom I helped buy together computers from the same company are neophytes who needed something--just anything to email, write documents and google. Like me senior, but they were never really exposed to any technology.

• William969
    Options

Follow-up. I began using computers in the 80's as a corporate sales manager. Thus, indeed a tool.

• Ian
    Ian admin
    Options

It may be a hardware issue. Are any USB devices (not just mouse and keyboard) working at all when you plug them in?

If it isn't accepting input from any USB devices, you may want to look into returning it to your place of purchase if it is a recent purchase.

• William969
    Options

Thanks, but everything works in any USB port except the keyboard. Even the OSK not working told me it was going to be a software problem. I've just returned the computer via fed-x and a new one is on the way.

• Ian
    Ian admin
    Options

Sounds like this was probably the best thing to do, hopefully a different system works as expected.

• William969
    Options

I spoke with customer service and tech support at my supplier, and both said Fed-X tends to treat "merchandise like footballs." With curiosity, I asked if rough handling could result in software issues. Whereas I don't see the correlation (roughhousing damage to software rather than hardware), they seem to believe it might and outwardly stated there is a historical reference. Since they are replacing the machine and they send out hundreds of computers each moth, I'll just go with it and hope it not inherit in this machine.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Options

@William969

To clarify the issue. Are you able to even log into the system? You mentioned you could type A1B2B3? Meaning that letters and numbers work when alternating, or only those three letters work?

First thing that occurred to me was the accessibility features related to the keyboard. Filter Keys, Mouse Keys, but none of those should effect your OSK.

• William969
    Options

I've actually returned the computer for a replacement. It was an oddity. No alphabet keys worked (only numeric) until the system asked for the A1B2C3 code to continue. Then the keyboard functioned, but only in caps. The OSK had the identical problem. Perfectly illogical but speaking with the distribution company's customer service and tech support (who both informed me), the abuse suffered in shipping may have caused the problem. Frankly, I've never seen physical abuse affect software, only hardware, but since they're replacing it, I'll not argue.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Options

@William969

It is possible that the login was asking for a pin rather than a password, and limiting the accepted characters?

• William969
    Options

Not being a neophyte, though not a professional, I do know more than most and searched for any alternate avenue to gain access to my control panel. That's all I needed--update the keyboard driver. No pathway was available. I also went into the bios searching for any potential access though there as I might have found 25 years past.

My friend whose business builds and installs custom servers stated it was altogether new to him as well. A software fluke has become the common response by most all contributors.

The computer is being replaced, so I'll just await delivery and begin again.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99