Heating Issues?

Options

Hey guys, I built out a system on cyberpower a few months back (they built it, I picked parts). I tried to do some research as i'm not an expert in this field but I just want to post my specs and see if anyone has recommendations on things I made need to change. I adjusted my fan curve because I was having GPU heating issues and it seemed to help a little, but I don't think it was enough. I'm running the Diablo 4 Beta this weekend on medium settings with the FPS capped at 140 and it was staying between 70-80 degrees C with the junction temp between 100-110. While engaging with things in the world the utilization was steady over 95% with an average clock speed of around 2500MHz. I can hear the fans ramping up, so I know that is functioning properly. If you see anything else that is unrelated to the overheating that you would like to point out, please feel free. I'm all ears. Thanks!

• CASE: Apevia Genesis ATX Mid-Tower W/ tempered glass windows + 4x 120mm RGB fans [-35] (Black Color)
  • CPU: Intel® Core™ Processor i5-12600KF 6P/12 + 4E 3.70GHz [Turbo 4.9GHz] 20MB Cache LGA1700 [w/o Integrated Graphic] [-190]
  • FAN: CyberPowerPC DEEPCOOL Castle 240EX ARGB 240mm AIO Liquid CPU Cooling System w/ Copper Cold Plate (2 x Standard 120MM Fans)
  • HDD: 2TB SOLIDIGM P41 Plus Series (PCIe Gen4) M.2 SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 4125/3325 MB/s, Rnd R/W up to 390/540k (Single Drive)
  • MEMORY: 32GB (16GBx2) DDR5/6000MHz Dual Channel Memory (KINGSTON FURY BEAST RGB)
  • MOTHERBOARD: ASRock Z790-C/D5 DDR5 ATX w/ Wi-Fi, 2.5GbT LAN, (3)PCIe x16,(2)PCIe x1, (4)M.2, (4)SATA [+11]
  • POWERSUPPLY: 850 Watts - CoolerMaster MWE GOLD 850 - V2 80 PLUS GOLD Ultra Quiet Full Modular Power Supply [+15]
  • VIDEO: AMD Radeon™ RX 6700 XT 12GB GDDR6 Video Card [-224] (Single Card)

Answers

• Aodhan_Gorman
    Options

If I had to take a wild guess, I would blame Cyberpower's choice of case to be the primary reason you are seeing thermal limits being reached. The front panel being completely covered in glass is most likely significantly degrading the capabilities of your front fans. A simple test to see if this is the case would be to just take off that front panel and see where your thermals go from there!

• PowerSpec_MichaelB
    PowerSpec_MichaelB ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Answer 5 Insightfuls First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Options

95% utilization indicates that the GPU isn't being 100% used. Diablo in general is typically more CPU bound due to the AI logic running entirely on your CPU. Given that the game is still in beta, it's likely an optimization issue on their end that will be resolved near launch.

If you are having issues in other games, I'd start by downloading MSI Afterburner and setting up Rivatuner Statistics Server. We have a guide on how to do that here: https://community.microcenter.com/discussion/3077/guide-how-to-install-enable-on-screen-display-in-msi-afterburner-rtss

Make sure you have your GPU thermals, usage, and VRAM usage enabled. Also make sure your CPU usage, thermals and clock speeds are monitored as well. You'll want your GPU to be at or as close to 100% as possible. You want to make sure your CPU is not hitting 100%. If your CPU is hitting 100%, it's bottlenecking the rest of your system.

I am also inclined to agree with @Aodhan_Gorman about the chassis. While it is an aesthetically pleasing chassis, the design does not lend itself well to thermal performance. The glass front panel has very small gaps for the pre-installed fans to intake through, which is likely limiting what both the GPU and CPU AIO can intake. It does not help that the GPU is using axial fan designs and is dumping most of the heat back into the chassis, which means your CPU AIO is likely taking in hot air instead of fresh cool air. If the front tempered glass is removable, I'd suggest trying what Aodhan recommended to see if performance improves.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99