Motherboard in bundle defective

Options

Hi,

I bought a CPU-MB-RAM bundle (7700x+MSI PRO B650-p wifi+G.Skill ddr5 16GBx2) from micro center last Thursday, and during my system-building process, I found that my motherboard is defective. After booting the system with the original BIOS (which is V13), it says "Over Current Have Been Detected On Your USB Device!!". Then, I flashed the BIOS with version V14, and this time, the CPU and RAM lit on forever and it could not boot. I have tried all BIOS from MSI website over the entire day and night, but they all fall into either of these two cases. Therefore, I believe my motherboard is defective.

At this stage, I am really worried about the quality of the products sold by micro center. So, I'd like to ask if it is possible to return all the products in the bundle for a refund within 30 days of purchase.

More importantly, there is no micro center store in my city (Austin), and it takes really long time to travel. So, I want to ask if it is possible to ship the products to the store in Houston (where I bought the bundle).

Best

Answers

• DamianUS
    Options

Defective MOBO is unfortunate, if it's the case, sorry man. With DDR-5, try leaving XMP off, while getting everything setup (if you haven't already). Also - do you have a bunch of RGB fans on a controller that's plugged into a USB header? Cheers.

• mzk1
    mzk1 ✭✭
    Name Dropper First Comment
    Options

No, I do not have RGB fans or a controller. I did not buy them. Before I did the testing, I pulled off all the peripheral connections to the USB, usb-c, and audio pins on the MOBO. Also, of course, the USB sockets on the back of the MOBO were all empty.

I am not sure how to leave XMP off without using the BIOS interface. At this stage, my system (with only MOBO, PSU, CPU, and DRAM) just cannot boot or load the bios properly. When I was using MSI BIOS version v13, it can boot but I got "Over Current on USB Device" warning, even with all USB pins and USB sockets empty. When I switched to V14, it just cannot boot.

• DamianUS
    Options

Yeah looks like defective MOBO for sure. That's on MSI though. ASUS is currently in the doghouse with their MOBOs vs AMD CPUs melting down, so I'd go ASRock, Gigabyte or even Zotac right now for alternates.

• mzk1
    mzk1 ✭✭
    Options

Well, looks like the whole DIY market is dim right now.

I am really tired of debugging. I thought defect is rare for such delicate devices, but I saw that many people had problems with their MOBO, as well as the DRAM, in this very bundle.

Guess I will return all the other stuff as well and then give up.

BTW, do you know microcenter's current return policy? I saw someone mentioned that MC does not allow return for refund for open-boxed stuff. I wonder if it is true now.

• TSKevinG
    Options

Good afternoon @mzk1

Thank you for contacting micro center. I do want to apologize for the issues you have been having with the items. below is a link for our return policy. the bundle you purchased for the motherboard processor and ram will have a 15 day return time frame. you would just need to bring the item back in the original box and packaging they came in

https://community.microcenter.com/kb/articles/28-what-is-the-return-policy

• mzk1
    mzk1 ✭✭
    Options

Hmmm. I do not see any restriction on the open-boxed items. So, I guess open-boxed items can be fully refunded. Correct me if I am wrong. Thanks.

• TSKevinG
    TSKevinG admin
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Likes
    edited May 2023
    Options

Correct you can still return open box items as long as it is within the return time frame and the item comes back in the packaging it was purchased in.

• DamianUS
    Options

Well, the GPU market is definitely still out of control, but most other things have seemingly started to stabilize. For context: in 2009 I bought an ASUS X58 Sabertooth for $179, and an i7-950 for $444 and 24GB DDR3-1600 for about $200 or so. Can't remember what the dual GPUs I bought costed at that time (EVGA GTS450s), but really, this many years later consumer prices on about everything but GPUs is pretty reasonable IMO (Unless you're going Threadripper/EPYC/Xeon).

The biggest problem with the DIY market right now? Manufacturer behavior and taking care of the customers. For this reason, I say definitely give MicroCenter a chance, they've been an awesome company since I've known them since the late 90's / early 2000s. Buying PC components online from places like NewEgg right now is an absolute dumpster fire.

Cheers and good luck!! If it helps, I have heard good things about Gigabyte and ASRock right now, specifically regarding the MOBOs. I have a Gigabyte myself and am impressed with it. Even my dual 48GB DDR5 modules worked fine off old stock BIOS (these are pretty new for capacity on a single DIMM), and are running XMP amazingly well after BIOS update. Stability is amazing.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99