Why Not Have NVMe SATA Drives for Both System And Data?

Options

Greetings! I hope this question won't betray too much of my lack of knowledge. 😏

With good quality 2 TB NVMe M.2 SSDs now available for $80, is there any reason NOT to use an NVMe M.2 SSD for both my system drive and my data drive? I ask because, both in pre-built PowerSpecs and in PC Builder, the second drive offered is typically a 2.5-inch SATA SSD.

Given the choice between a svelte 2280 form factor that sits directly on the PCIe bus and a klunky (by comparison) 2.5-inch drive that connects through cables and a SATA controller, why would someone choose the latter if they can have the former?

Thanks for your advice.

Best Answer

• PowerSpec_MichaelB
    PowerSpec_MichaelB ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Answer 5 Insightfuls First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Answer βœ“
    Options

Nope, the biggest reason was price per GB. With SSDs getting cheaper, I'd strongly recommend using multiple SSDs if possible. That's what I do on my home system. Even for my dad's Plex server, I have a large SSD to create a block level cache on a RAID6 drive setup. A single 2TB SSD caching 16TB worth of spinners.

That said, SSDs do have the problem of finite write cycles, so if you are writing a ton of data at a time, traditional disks might still be beneficial assuming you buy one purpose built for your task. For most people though, they'll never exceed the write cycles of an SSD under normal everyday workloads.

Answers

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99