Newly Built Gaming PC - Random Reboots

Options

Hello,

I just built a gaming PC over a month ago and it randomly reboots and seems to occur mostly when launching a game and/or Steam. It has also rebooted simply just at the desktop as well.

I don't get a BSOD and the screen just goes black and then the MSI logo eventually comes up indicating a reboot. The only event log error I'm seeing is "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

Below is a list of my hardware.

Case: Lian Li 216 Case

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7700X

RAM: G Skill 32G 2X D5 6000

GPU: AMD Radeon 6950XT

MOBO: MSI Pro B650-P WIFI ATX

Power Supply: RM850X Fully Modular ATX Power Supply.

I'm ready to pull my hair out and have done a significant amount of troubleshooting that I listed below but have so far been unsuccessful....

-Uninstall/Reinstalled the GPU Drivers and all other drivers

-Ran a memtest on the RAM and Stress tested the CPU. Both checked out fine.

-Updated the BIOS to the newest version

-Dismantled the whole PC and rebuilt to ensure cabling was sound

-Switched the RAM stick positions

-Completely uninstalled and reinstalled Windows.

-Turned off EXPO.

-Tried setting VDDP to .95V per this MicroCenter Article - https://community.microcenter.com/discussion/13505/msi-b650-p-random-crashes

-Moved the PC to a different area of the house to ensure it was getting enough power.

-Adjusted the RAM from 6000 MH and Auto to 4800 MHz.

-All temps appear standard for the CPU and GPU

I may be missing a few troubleshooting steps but if anyone has any ideas on what may be causing the issue or any other ideas to trouble, the assistance is much appreciated. It seems to happen less frequently after I reinstalled Windows the other and all the drivers but it has gone to a black screen and rebooted a few times after launching a game. All the hardware appears to be sound as well with no visible damage and it is all new as I purchased it just over a month ago.

This is extremely frustrating and I bought the CPU, RAM, and MoBo bundle from MicroCenter.

Thanks!

Comments

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    5 Insightfuls First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Options

@doob89

A RAM issue should BSOD and would be relatively easy to induce with stress testing. It sounds like the system just intermittently loses power, but there are other possibilities. The times that it is happening, especially when you start games makes me think its an issue with ramping GPU power curves when load is put on the card that causes it. I've seen issues like this in the past with AMD cards, where the system would reboot rather than BSOD.

I would on power and the GPU. You might consider taking the card out and running on the IGP for a day just to verify the issue goes away. Now, you're removing 330ish watts of power consumption when you do this, so it if it works, power is still in play. You can try a different outlet, different ATX power cable. Different PSU if you have it.

• doob89
    Options

Thanks PowerSpec! I'll give that a try. So you think if it runs off the IGP fine that it indicates I need a new power supply or could it be some voltage setting? I did already try a different outlet and different ATX power cables when I reassembled the thing.

Thanks again for your help. This is super frustrating.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@doob89

If it runs fine on the IGP, GPU and PSU are your most likely culprits. I have seen issues with AMD drivers in the past where the cards wouldn't BSOD and log errors properly, but I haven't seen that in a while. This sounds more like an intermittent power loss. If the card was to blame, I think it would be more likely you'd get at least some issues where the screen would go black. System would be responsive by checking caps lock, but you'd have to reboot to get it back. Faulty PSU that dies under heavy load is more likely in my opinion. That card does draw around 330W at full load.

• doob89
    Options

Thanks again Powerspec. Haven't done what you recommended yet for troubleshooting.

Reboot just occurred again and the system was idle meaning I wasn't actively doing anything on the system. Just had the computer powered on and came back to a login screen an hour later and event log is showing "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

Even if I'm not launching a game or have anything running it reboots. Would it still draw that much power if the system is just idle?

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@doob89

No, shouldn't be drawing much at idle. Probably 60-70 watts. Now you've seen this happen randomly. It appears in this instance that it may have happened when the system went to sleep, correct?

I think taking the GPU out of the equation will tell us something.

• doob89
    doob89
    First Comment
    edited September 2023
    Options
    It seems to mostly happen when launching steam or a game. I have my power settings to never shut the display off or sleep but same issue and it just rebooted woth the system sitting at the desktop woth nothing running. I will try the gpu deal if it happens again here. I'm having trouble thinking it has to so with the psu unless it is going bad already. If th gpu is say drawing 350, which is a very high estimate, I don't see how all the other components combined would be pulling over 500w causing it to go over the 850.

Thanks again for your help
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@doob89

it'd be difficult to hit 500W total on that system without overclocking. The power supply is more than adequate. It sounds like you're just intermittently losing power. I would definitely consider the power supply as a potential culprit here.

• doob89
    Options
    Thank you Mike! I can't thank you enough for all ur help with this..I'll give it a go with a new psu. One question though, do you know if the computer was intermittently losing power wouldn't the whole thing shutdown instead of remaining in and rebooting. When the screen goes black all the fan lights remain and they continue to spin and the it just reboot without completely shutting down.

Thanks again!
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@doob89

If it's a very brief power loss, it'll reboot. If it's longer, then the system would shutdown and stay off. I think what you're seeing is the system reboots, the screen goes black, and most likely the fans speed up. Then the system starts up again, is that correct?

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99