PowerSpec G472 - random reboot from BugCheck

Options
2»

Answers

• cdrozda
    Options

When the MSI tech talked me through getting in to the BIOS, tapping "delete" didn't work, but something else did. In the BIOS screen, the cursor was not responsive. I think I should try that again with another call to MSI.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    5 Insightfuls First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Options

@cdrozda

Do you have a wireless mouse? So long as the keyboard works we can help you navigate through the BIOS with that alone. F7 is advanced mode as an example.

• cdrozda
    Options

I can get a wireless mouse, I think. What should I do next?

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@cdrozda

No, I thought your BIOS issues may have been due to wireless peripherals. What were the results of the memory diagnostics in event viewer?

• cdrozda
    Options

I don't use a wireless mouse. I use a wireless keyboard, and a wired trackpad. I also use a bluetooth speaker/earphone.

Thanks for telling me the memory diagnostics would be in Event Viewer. Which category is it under, and what will it be called?

• cdrozda
    Options

I found it. "The Windows Memory Diagnostic tested the computer's memory and detected no errors"

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@cdrozda

The wireless keyboard might explain the boot menu issue. Do you have a wired to try? I'd like to get you on our latest BIOS for this board.

Link: https://us.v-cdn.net/6031942/uploads/LDJS8T7MTD53/e7d25iz1.zip

Instructions:

1. Extract the BIOS file to a flash drive.
    2. Enter the BIOS by tapping 'Delete' on startup.
    3. Press Control + Alt + T to enter Advanced flash mode.
    4. Select the BIOS file and press enter, confirm the flash.
    5. After it reboots press F1 for setup.
    6. Press F6 and load defaults. Click the '1' at the top to load XMP.
    7. F10 to save and exit.
  • cdrozda
    Options

When I was on with MSI doing the BIOS update attempt, I attached the wired keyboard that came with the computer, and the wired mouse. I mentioned the wireless only to let you know what I had been using previously.

I just talked with MicroCenter Denver, and they agreed to do the diagnostic on my computer within 24-48 hours. Apparently the tech who told me 3-1/2 weeks was just being a jerk....

So, I won't need to tell you that I don't know how to extract the BIOS file to a flash drive. I'll get MicroCenter to attempt to update the BIOS.

Thank you so much for your help on this! It has made a difference in how I feel about MicroCenter and PowerSpec!

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@cdrozda

Understood, we'll see what they find in the diagnostic. Intermittent issues are always more difficult to troubleshoot, but we'll find a solution. The BSOD's that were recorded say it's the GPU driver. However, since you have quite a few that aren't recorded, it makes you wonder if it's not something else affecting the PCIe bus.

• cdrozda
    Options

Mike, I was hoping you wouldn't hear from me again, but things are still not right. MicroCenter took the computer in, did their diagnostics, updated the BIOS, wiped the drive, and reinstalled Windows. (Warranty service, supposedly, but cost me $100). It was fine, no crashes, for about 10 days, then restarted, froze, or blue screen 5 times in one day. Here's a screen shot of the event viewer. The last time was a blue screen and automatic restart as I was updating the graphics driver

I think they should replace the computer for me. It must have a problem that they can't find. How can I convince them to do that?

Thank you for all of your help.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@cdrozda

That's something I would discuss with a manger on your next visit and get their service manager involved if they're not able to find a solution. My first though would be gradual OS corruption over the 10 day period. Anything change on the day that the problem started? Room temp as an example?

• cdrozda
    Options

I can't think of anything that changed suddenly. Not the room temp. It's still winter, so the thermostat keeps it constant. The computer has a really good cooling system. Maybe there was gradual corruption. I will bring it into MicroCenter (again!!) and hopefully get something done.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

Let me know what they tell you this time. I'll see if I can find the service techs notes tomorrow.

• cdrozda
    Options

Thank you! I have an appointment to take it in on Wednesday at 6pm.

• cdrozda
    Options

I guess MicroCenter did all that any company is likely to do these days. They gave me my full purchase price toward another computer. So, it "only" cost me $500. Plus the $100 I spent to have the old one's drive wiped clean and a reinstall of windows in hope that would fix it. Apparently that's "not covered under warranty". And now I have a new warranty.

After untold hours on the phone with MicroCenter, Microsoft, and MSI tech support, many more hours spent reinstalling software and re-doing Windows settings, and 3 round trips to Denver (an hour each way), hopefully now I will have a good computer. Fingers crossed.

MikeW, thank you so much for your help!

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@cdrozda

Please let me know if you run into any issues with this new system.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99