PowerSpec BIOS - Intel Default Settings - 8/23

PowerSpec_MikeW
PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
2500 Comments Fifth Anniversary 100 Answers 250 Likes
edited September 3 in PowerSpec

Greetings,

In this thread we'll be providing BIOS updates for our Intel Z690/790 boards that provide the Intel Default Power Settings as an option in the BIOS. I'll list by board, rather than model and provide instructions on determining the board.

What does these BIOS updates address?

Premature degradation issues with the Intel processors due to over voltage. Basically the processor can call and receive voltage high enough to degrade a processor momentarily when the system is put under heavy load. Use of the PC and the specifications can make a system more or less vulnerable to this. For gaming PC's, a higher end GPU is a risk factor. It will put a higher demand on the processor momentarily when you for instance load into a game, and can cause this dangerous spike. Degradation occurs over the life of any semiconductor, but this is happening in a much, much shorter time than expected due to the issue. The 0x129 microcode puts a hard cap on the VCORE voltage.

Warranty Extensions:

Our warranty will be extended to 5 years on all models with an affected processor for the CPU only. The warranty on other components remains 1 year from the date of purchase.

How do I check what board I have?

1. Generally the model is silkscreened on the board and visible through the panel.
  2. In search type: msinfo32. Open System Information. The Baseboard Product is the model of the board.

Please ask us directly if you're not sure. We can determine this from the serial. There are a few models where the board changed mid production, generally from a Z690 to a Z790 board.

BIOS:

MSI:

Flash Instructions:

1. Press 'Del' on startup to enter the BIOS.
  2. Press Ctrl+Alt+T and confirm to enter Advanced Flash Mode.
  3. Select the BIOS file and confirm the flash.
  4. Once the flash completes, re-enter the BIOS and enable XMP.

Note: You can always flash the manufacturer BIOS with our systems. However we just set everything up as a default so it's little simpler. We'll also have the manufacturer address any bugs we find as well as fix minor issues like USB port mapping.

MSI Pro Z690-A WIFI DDR4

Coming Soon.

MSI Pro Z690-A WIFI DDR5

8/23 - 0x129 microcode.

E7D25IZ1.AMH

MSI Pro Z790-P WIFI DDR5

8/23 - 0x129 Microcode.

E7E06IZ1AM8

MSI MPG Z790 EDGE WIFI

8/14 - 0x129 Microcode.

MSI Pro Z790-A MAX WIFI

8/23 - 0x129 Microcode.

ASUS:

There are no special instructions for ASUS.

1. Delete to enter the BIOS on startup.
  2. Select ASUS EZ Flash Utility from the Tools menu.
  3. Select the BIOS file and confirm the flash.

ASUS PRIME Z790-V AX

New 8/14 - 0x129 microcode.

ASUS Prime Z790M-Plus

0x129 microcode.

Note: We did encounter an issue on one board with this BIOS where the system would shut off after the flash and had to be discharged to boot again. This repeated on memory training, we had no further issues with that system thereafter.

Comments

• Truthbringer
    Truthbringer ✭✭
    10 Comments Name Dropper
    edited August 5

I have a PowerSpec G478 with an MSI MPG Z790 Edge Wifi. I have had some crashing and think its related to the Intel 14900KF problems intel has disclosed. I was directed here and see there is a firmware but not sure if I should update or will there be another update in later August when Intel sends out updated microcode to the board manufacturers? For now I went in and Selected Box Cooler of Water Cooling in my bios to keep voltage limit at the Intel Defaults.

• PowerSpec_MikeW

@Truthbringer

The HM7 here has the Intel Default power limits and the 0x125 micro code update. You're all set with this BIOS update.

• Truthbringer
    Truthbringer ✭✭
    10 Comments Name Dropper
    edited August 3

I did the BIOS update after you stated it would be good but now I cant seem to find where to enable XMP so my 6000mhz ram is running at 4800mhz.

UPDATE: I saw a setting at the top that says iEXPO. I clicked on that an enabled it after a reboot it looks like my DRAM is back to 6000mhz.

It does look like the Intel default power limits is the same as when I chose Boxed Cooler under the factory BIOS. But I also have the microcode update now. Hopefully its stable and no damage was done for the month I owned it.

• PowerSpec_MikeW

@Truthbringer

From the BIOS you can click the '1' to load XMP, or do it from the OC menu. I can get some screenshots Monday morning.

Default limits are PL1=PL2 253W. Boxed cooler should have a lower PL1 so the TAU actually will cut the turbo power after a certain duration. I'd have to roll the BIOS back and double check that.

• Truthbringer
    Truthbringer ✭✭
    10 Comments Name Dropper
    edited August 3

@PowerSpec_MikeW

When I had chose Boxed cooler and used HWiNFO it showed 253W for PL1 and PL2 on BIOS shipped with machine. I saw todays Gamers Nexus video mentioned again that Intel plans to release another micro code update to additionally help with voltage issues so I suspect this will not be the last BIOS updated needed. I hope your team will make a custom BIOS again when that happens for its very easy to just download it and turn on the iEXPO setting for my ram.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    edited August 3

@Truthbringer

I'll keep an eye on it. Looking at it more carefully, there will be another microcode update so we will be pushing out another round of BIOS updates for all boards. 0x125 is the the TVB fix.

• I have the powerspec G475. For some reason the BIOS never sees the update file on the USB drive. When I go to flash it, the screen goes blank and nothing happens. Ive tried different USB drives and USB ports in the back and nothing. The file is unzipped and in the root directory of the USB drive formatted to FAT32.

• PowerSpec_MikeW

@JerryRaia

Our custom BIOS requires you use the Advanced Flash Mode. From the BIOS hit Control + Alt + T.

• JerryRaia
    JerryRaia ✭✭
    10 Comments Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited August 3

Thats what i did. CTRL+ALT+T Ive tried various sized USB drives too, the smallest is 124MB up to 32GB. Nothing shows up. After I say YES to the CTRL+ALT+T the Bios Screen disappears and nothing shows up. After I power down and restart, i see a message that says "…exiting flash mode" and then back to the BIOS screen

• I used a FAT32 formatted 4GB USB Drive and used the M-Flash option in the BIOS. I guess I could have tried the CTRL+ALT+T but thought that was for motherboards that didn't have an option right on the main screen. It worked for I am on HM7 and I also activated iEXPO under Game Boost to restore my RAM back to DDR 6000mhz.

• Ive tried it that way too. The file names match before the "." so that isnt the issue either.

• PowerSpec_MikeW

@JerryRaia

Could you provide a screenshot from your BIOS? F12, it'll save onto the flash drive.

• PowerSpec_MikeW

@JerryRaia

Also, make sure you extract the file from the zip archive, or it won't be seen.

• and yes the file is extracted in the root directory. no other drives are attached, only mouse and keyboard and the usb drive

• PowerSpec_MikeW

@JerryRaia

Everything looks right. Drive will work NTFS or FAT32. Make sure you're selecting the correct drive on the left. It must be in the advanced flash mode.

If that doesn't work, you can try going to the MSI BIOS first it's based on: https://download.msi.com/bos_exe/mb/7D91vHC3.zip

• No luck, nothing seems to work. The usb drive or the file is not showing up. However when i saved the screen shots it saw the drive and saved the images there. so im lost with this

• PowerSpec_MikeW

@JerryRaia

Doesn't make any sense, the advanced flash mode should show you any ROM file. Can you screenshot the flash drive in Windows? Show me the file and structure. Can you try another flash drive?

• @JerryRaia

Are you still within your 1 year warranty? I would take it into Microcenter and have them help.
  • JerryRaia
    JerryRaia ✭✭
    10 Comments Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited August 4

I am, its one hell of a bad 1.5 hour drive at best. For some reason now I cant post images, getting an error message on the page here

• PowerSpec_MikeW

@JerryRaia

I don't see any moderation on your account. I sent you an email where you can send the pictures.

• I replied with images thanks

• @JerryRaia

If its too far the other thing I would try if it was happening to me is to download the file on a different PC using different internet to another flash drive. Just to take all the variables out that you used to get the file.

• Thanks again Mike W and others for the help. Issue solved. It was a display problem, nothing with the PC itself

• Cynimun
    Cynimun ✭✭
    Name Dropper First Comment
    edited August 9

Quick question, I have flashed the BIOS update from the MSI website for the MPG Z790 EDGE WIFI board, is there anything else besides re-enabling the XMP profile that I need to do in the BIOS settings to have it match the custom microcenter settings, or otherwise recommended settings?

• Truthbringer
    Truthbringer ✭✭
    10 Comments Name Dropper
    edited August 9

@PowerSpec_MikeW

It looks like the new Microcode 0x129 update came out today. Will there be a PowerSpec version soon or should I update like Cynimun did? If so I will have the same question if any other bios settings need changed.

I also notice that update on MSI site is a Beta version.

• @Cynimun

How long have you had your computer? I am about a couple months in with a 14900kf. I had problems with Fortnite crashing on launch but no BSODs or crashes during normal usage. I am wondering how we know if CPU has had degradation and if I need to take PC to microcenter and ask for a new CPU after the update.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    edited August 9

@Truthbringer

I'm working on it now. It'll probably be the middle of next week. No harm in flashing the beta then updating to the custom later on.

@Cynimun

If you're in the 206 case not really. All we do is disable the MSI installer and set the secure boot preset to maximum security.

Regarding the warranty, degraded processors will be covered. The warranty will be extended significantly on the CPU itself. I'm waiting for more information internally then I'll provide that information as well as information on what's actually happening and what potentially makes a CPU vulnerable.

• Truthbringer
    Truthbringer ✭✭
    10 Comments Name Dropper
    edited August 9

@PowerSpec_MikeW

I did the beta update and yea the MSI installer came up trying to get me to install stuff so I shut that off as well. I left the Secure boot at its default standard.

My 3dMark score was about in line with before and I noticed that my voltages are now staying around and below 1.5 prior to bios update it was spiking past 1.5 when I monitored it. I just do not know how to tell if I received damage. It would be nice if Microcenter just extends the warranty on processor a few years and then I can just keep what I got and not worry about it.

• PowerSpec_MikeW

@JerryRaia

I thought you were able to flash with a different monitor?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99