GPU Upgrade for Core i7-7700K — Micro Center

GPU Upgrade for Core i7-7700K

I'm looking ahead to the Microsoft Flight Sim release expected later this year and it's time to replace the GTX 1050 Ti in my system. CPU is Core i7-7700K.  16GB RAM. Monitors are two 1080p with HDMI. I'm trying to pick a GPU that will balance with my CPU and provide 2 HDMI (or 1 HDMI and 1 DVI) outputs.  I've been looking at the EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB SC ULTRA GAMING Video Card.  Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated!!

Comments

• TSTonyVTSTonyV admin
    edited April 28
    Hello @twdixon! Welcome to the Community. The 1660ti would be a solid upgrade over the 1050ti, although I will say that with the prices the 1660ti is currently listed, I would jump to something like the EVGA RTX 2060 KO or an RX 5600XT. They're only about $20 more than the cheaper 1660ti models and will have a pretty solid performance increase.

I mention the EVGA 2060 KO specifically because it's by far the best deal on an RTX 2060: the other RTX 2060 models are typically a fair bit more expensive and not worth the cost increase. 
  • TSTonyV. Would you suggest a system with the same GPU and an i3-8100. Would you still recommend the same upgrade to the GPU or something else?
  • It depends on what kind of games you're playing I think. The 7700k is still an all around really good gaming processor. It's not the kind like it used to be, but it wouldn't be a bottleneck for anything except the high end GPUs. The i3-8100 on the otherhand, is would be pretty underpowered by today's standards for gaming. 

It depends on what exactly you're doing, but I think in your case, I'd probably look at upgrading my CPU first. What kind of games are you playing?